DssDeploy Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I created a deployment package using the DSS Deploy Tool (MRDS 2.0  July CTP) and deployed the package to a target computer running XP Professional (SP3).  No error messages were generated when the package was created nor when the deployment package was "unpacked" on the target computer.

When I attempt to run dsshost on the target computer, it fails to start, and the following error message is generated:

C:\MRDS20\bin>dsshost /p:50000 /m:"awsnet.manifest.xml"

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or ***
    embly 'Microsoft.Dss.Tools, Version=2.0.831.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3
    1bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file spe
    cified.
    File name: 'Microsoft.Dss.Tools, Version=2.0.831.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyTo
    ken=31bf3856ad364e35'
       at Microsoft.Dss.Hosting.CommandLine.RuntimeHost.Main(String[] args)

Do additional files/libraries need to be installed on the target computer that are not included as part of the deployment package?
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 7:14 PM

Answers

• He tsanders,

did you install MRDS CTP2.0 on your target PC? I mean the installer not only the deploy.

I had the same issue than you, and MRDS CTP2.0 was not installed on my target PC.

As some dlls from  MRDS CTP2.0 are now installed in GAC (Microsoft.CCR.Core, Microsoft.DSS...) there are not present in your target PC and in your package.

To fix it install in the target PC the  "Microsoft CCR and DSS Runtime Redistributable 2008 (CTP July).exe" located in: Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 2008\redistributables

Arnaud.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 7:25 AM

All replies

• To answer your question I need to know what command line you used to create the package.

DssDeploy can package all of the dependent DLLs for you. However, you can also create packages without these files.

There is a tool available through Channel 9 called ViewDssDeployContents that you might find useful to see what is inside the package. In the next version of DssDeploy you will be able to see this information.

Trevor

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 11:50 PM
  • Trevor,

I used the following command line to create the package:

dssdeploy /p /m:" projects\awsnet\awsnet.manifest.xml" awsnetdeploy.exe

Tom

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 1:53 AM
  • OK, when you specify a manifest DssDeploy looks at all of the services listed. Then it figures out what other services these depend on. So the whole thing gets packaged up so that it can be installed on a target PC which does not already have MRDS on it.

The only definitive way to find out what is in a DssDeploy package (right now) is to use Paul's nifty tool:

http://channel9.msdn.com/playground/Sandbox/259877-View-contents-of-DssDeploy-packages-created-with-Microsoft-Robotics-Studio/

I suggest you grab this off Channel 9 and try it out on your package. That might give you a better idea what is going on.

By the way, the command you have used does not distribute the source code, but I guess that is the idea.

Trevor

Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:49 AM
  • He tsanders,

did you install MRDS CTP2.0 on your target PC? I mean the installer not only the deploy.

I had the same issue than you, and MRDS CTP2.0 was not installed on my target PC.

As some dlls from  MRDS CTP2.0 are now installed in GAC (Microsoft.CCR.Core, Microsoft.DSS...) there are not present in your target PC and in your package.

To fix it install in the target PC the  "Microsoft CCR and DSS Runtime Redistributable 2008 (CTP July).exe" located in: Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 2008\redistributables

Arnaud.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 7:25 AM
  • Arnaud,

MRDS CTP2.0 was not installed on the target PC.  After I installed the CCR and DSS Runtime on the target PC,  all of the services included in the deployment package appear to be functioning normally.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Thursday, September 4, 2008 4:17 PM
  • Hi!

We've also faced same problem. With MS Robotics 1.5, dssdeploy utility packaged all DLL-s needed to run a MS Robotics service under a machine with nothing except .NET Framework 3.0 installed on it. CCR and DSS DLL-s were placed under "bin" directory when extracting the package created by dssdeploy, so the runtime was "there", under "bin" directory.

Now, as Arnaud suggests, seems like CCR and DSS runtime redistributable must be installed
    in the "deploy machine" prior to running a robotics service. I understand this is because MRDS 2008 runtime libraries must be in GAC and this installer does exactly that.

I particularly preferred the "old method", all was deployed in one and only one package. Now, two packages are needed.

The only thing that has not changed is the deployment of robotics services for Compact Framework or Windows CE. For this environment there is no runtime to be installed, all runtime DLLs are also included in the deployable package, as the "old method" used to do.

Miguel
    Blog: http://lonifasiko.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:53 PM
  • Correct. Thanks for the clarification Miguel.

Separating the CCR and DSS binaries was related to getting multiple versions to run side-by-side and also a response to the user community who asked for a non-robotics package. You will see more about this when we ship the final product.

Trevor

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:58 PM