Dax Formula to calculate the 'closing inventory balance' RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am looking for a formula that enables me to calculate the 'closing inventory balance'.

I have datasets containing information about the 'sales amount' on day X. And datasets containing information about the purchases on day X or Y.

How can I calculate 'inventory' = 'closing inventory balance' (last dataset before) - 'sales' + 'purchases' ?
    The last dataset can be 1day away from now or more days away from now. I have a column containing the 'booking date'.

Which formula do I have to use and how do I have to organize the formula?

Thank you very much for your answers.
    Regards
    Jörg

Sunday, February 3, 2013 6:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please find the below DAX Query.  I have written it as per your image and you may need to change it as per your requirement.

Calculate (
      Sum ( Table1[ProductionAmount] ) + Sum ( Table1[Purchases] ) + Sum ( Table1[Salesamount] ),
      Filter (
        All ( Table1 ),
        Earlier ( Table1[Date] ) >= Table1[Date]
      )
    )

Microsoft Partner Services Organization

• Marked as answer by J.Roca Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:36 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:00 AM
  • Hi Rakesh,

thank you very much for your help! Your formula works quite well except the fact that it does not sum up the first dataset. I modified the formula a bit and found a solution:

=CALCULATE (SUM[Moving Amount]);FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Table1;Table1[Product]);EARLIER(Table1[Date]) >= Table1[Date]))

Best Regards

Jörg

• Marked as answer by J.Roca Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:37 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:36 PM

All replies

• Tuesday, February 5, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Hi Rakesh,

thank you for answering. I really dont know if this is what I am looking for.

Can I calculate the inventory column from the attached picture with a formula from your link?

Regards

JörgCalculate remaining Inventory

By the way: I work with a seperate Time Dimension.

Moving Amount:

=[Salesamount]+[Purchases]+[Production Amount]

Inventory:

=CALCULATE(SUM(FactSOP[Moving Amount]);DATESBETWEEN(DimTime[Date];BLANK();LASTDATE(DimTime[Date])))

As it is a German version of PowerPivot I have to write ; instead of ,

The formula for the Moving Amount works. The formula for the Inventory shows the same results as the formula for the Moving Amount. Is there a mistake? I need to receive the values of the picture for the inventory column.

• Edited by J.Roca Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:28 PM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:08 PM
  • Hi,

Please find the below DAX Query.  I have written it as per your image and you may need to change it as per your requirement.

Calculate (
      Sum ( Table1[ProductionAmount] ) + Sum ( Table1[Purchases] ) + Sum ( Table1[Salesamount] ),
      Filter (
        All ( Table1 ),
        Earlier ( Table1[Date] ) >= Table1[Date]
      )
    )

Microsoft Partner Services Organization

• Marked as answer by J.Roca Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:36 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:00 AM
  • Hi Rakesh,

thank you very much for your help! Your formula works quite well except the fact that it does not sum up the first dataset. I modified the formula a bit and found a solution:

=CALCULATE (SUM[Moving Amount]);FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Table1;Table1[Product]);EARLIER(Table1[Date]) >= Table1[Date]))

Best Regards

Jörg

• Marked as answer by J.Roca Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:37 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:36 PM