none
Couple of questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can someone please answer these two questions for me?

1. I've attempted to create both Word files and Word templates in my VS2010 app. In those files, in which you see essentially a Word document in front of you, I've modified the paragraph styles radically, just to see if whatever I create will reflect that. But, it doesn't. I modified the "normal" paragraph style. But, when I pressed F5 and it opened up a new Word file, the "normal" paragraph style was untouched. Why?

2. What is the difference between a .dotx template file and a .dotm template file?

Thanks,

Peter

Friday, April 29, 2011 12:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Peter,

“1. I've attempted to create both Word files and Word templates in my VS2010 app. …, the "normal" paragraph style was untouched. Why?”

When a new document is created all Styles that are contained in the document have come from the template that is “attached” to the document, usually these styles are in the Normal.dotm template. While editing, if you modify an existing Style or add a new there is a choice to either keep that style only in the document or to transfer it to the document’s template. Unless you specifically choose to update the template with your new or modified style, Word will default to that keeping that style, again new or modified, in the document.

“2. What is the difference between a .dotx template file and a .dotm template file?”

Templates come in two varieties, with imbedded Macros (dotm) or without (dotx).

Hope this helps

Regards, Rich
    • Marked as answer by pb4072 Friday, April 29, 2011 1:22 PM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 1:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

“1. I've attempted to create both Word files and Word templates in my VS2010 app. …, the "normal" paragraph style was untouched. Why?”

When a new document is created all Styles that are contained in the document have come from the template that is “attached” to the document, usually these styles are in the Normal.dotm template. While editing, if you modify an existing Style or add a new there is a choice to either keep that style only in the document or to transfer it to the document’s template. Unless you specifically choose to update the template with your new or modified style, Word will default to that keeping that style, again new or modified, in the document.

“2. What is the difference between a .dotx template file and a .dotm template file?”

Templates come in two varieties, with imbedded Macros (dotm) or without (dotx).

Hope this helps

Regards, Rich
    • Marked as answer by pb4072 Friday, April 29, 2011 1:22 PM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Helps a lot. Thanks, Rich!
    Friday, April 29, 2011 1:22 PM