Picking up files from a portal RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a scenario, where my client uploads a file to a folder in a portal. This portal is a HTML portal with login credentials(just like any other website). I would appreciate if someone can give suggestions on how to use BizTalk to retrieve files from the portal. 

The portal is not published as web service. Not sure how to publish a website as a web service. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Praveen

Monday, June 30, 2014 8:33 PM

Answers

• So the website doesn't provide a way/interface/service to programmatically share the files. So you're looking for options to hack it :)

Even with the user interface, when the file can only be accessed after authenticating the user. But you're looking for a way to access these files using BizTalk.

Following are some of the options I can think of:

• Unless its a webprotal like SharePoint, where files in the document library can be accessed using the BizTalk SharePoint adapters. But in a standard website, there is no direct way to access the files after authenticating the user.
    • If the website's security is not very strict and file can be access/hacked using the querystring like http://abc.com/fileID=123&UID=USer1&PWD=P123 where the user credentials can be passed in the querystring/URL, then you can use any HTTP based adapter.
    • Create custom adapter with using some methods like screen scrapping, where you scrapping the screen's content and using string pattern to access/parse through the section you're interested in.

There is no direct way to access the files when the website doesn't provide an interface to share its files to services like BizTalk. When the website has authentication to access the files, I would not try to access its content programmatically in any illegal way. Speak with the website providers to provide a service through which other services can access their files, if intend to share their files with others.

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, July 7, 2014 1:21 AM
    Monday, June 30, 2014 9:25 PM

All replies

• So the website doesn't provide a way/interface/service to programmatically share the files. So you're looking for options to hack it :)

Even with the user interface, when the file can only be accessed after authenticating the user. But you're looking for a way to access these files using BizTalk.

Following are some of the options I can think of:

• Unless its a webprotal like SharePoint, where files in the document library can be accessed using the BizTalk SharePoint adapters. But in a standard website, there is no direct way to access the files after authenticating the user.
    • If the website's security is not very strict and file can be access/hacked using the querystring like http://abc.com/fileID=123&UID=USer1&PWD=P123 where the user credentials can be passed in the querystring/URL, then you can use any HTTP based adapter.
    • Create custom adapter with using some methods like screen scrapping, where you scrapping the screen's content and using string pattern to access/parse through the section you're interested in.

There is no direct way to access the files when the website doesn't provide an interface to share its files to services like BizTalk. When the website has authentication to access the files, I would not try to access its content programmatically in any illegal way. Speak with the website providers to provide a service through which other services can access their files, if intend to share their files with others.

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, July 7, 2014 1:21 AM
    Monday, June 30, 2014 9:25 PM
  • Well, what do you mean by 'portal'?  Scraping an html site is tricky in the best of circumstances.

First, thoroughly investigate any other options they might have.

I would find it unusual if they only offer an upload/download method designed only for human interaction.  If the file is meant to be machine readable, EDI for instance, it's common for an organization to offer both human and machine accessible file transfer, FTP for example.

Monday, June 30, 2014 10:25 PM
  • Hi,

I hope for your Portal's server will have a backend access through FTP(Or make your portal to place the files in the desired file shared location for your access) . In BizTalk you can find the FTP adapter to retrieve the files from the portal. Make sure you false the "Delete After Download" property.

Regards, Vignesh S

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 7:02 AM