Keywords/meta tags RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to add keywords to my site or meta tags not sure if there the same thing or not, or if keywords are added to the sites code or if there done at my hosting provider?

Than If i ask about bringing an old site i made with Dreamweaver up to date with the compatibility errors, I have done well so fare by removing a few hundread errors but I still have a few, one page has almost 25 errors still. www.newcocomm.com pls dont laugh it is my first site.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:49 PM

Answers

• "One last Question is their a limit to how many keywords can be used."

I wouldn't worry about it. The search engines (Google/Bing) have learned that what people put in the keyword meta tags is all BS anyway and is to be mainly ignored. What is more important to search engine ranking is what is in the title tag <title> and in the header tags <h1>, <h2> etc and that those headers are hierarchical in the page structure.

See this article: Search Engine Keyword Importance
    • Proposed as answer by Time Bandit Saturday, August 21, 2010 10:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Gringoyle Friday, December 3, 2010 10:04 PM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Keywords aren't really needed anymore as Search Engines look at the actual page copy and not the keywords to determine the make-up of a page.

What I use the keywords meta tag for is to remind me the keywords that the page I'm developing/designing is going after.  So I usually have only a handful of keywords in the meta keyword tag.

Something that may help - Break Down of a Google Search Result

--
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    • Marked as answer by Gringoyle Friday, December 3, 2010 10:05 PM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:33 PM

All replies

• All meta tags are entered by you.

META Tags:

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_meta.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta_element

--
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Veign,

Thank you very much both of the sites you suggested where very  help full. I now building my meta tags.

One last Question is their a limit to how many keywords can be used, i have a long list already

<meta name="keywords" content="Phone Sales,Phone Installation,Phone Maintenance,Phone Systems,Buisnesses Phones,Communications,Phone Wiring,data Wiring,Show Low,Pineto-Lakeside,Arizona,Telephony,Telephony Networks,Nortel,Mitel,Cisco,VoIP,VoIP Phones,Voip Phone Systems,Testing,Cat6,Wire Management,Patch Panels,Patch Panel management,Certification,Certification Nortel,Certification Mitel,Voice,Data,Commercial,Commercial Phone Systems,Office Solutions,Newco,NewCo,Newcocomm,Newco Communications,Newco Phones,Show Low Phones,Show Low Phone Systems,Show Low Networking,Show Low Cabling,Show Low Wiring,Pinetop Phones,Pinetop phone Systems, Pinetop networking, Pinetop Cabling, Pinetop Phone Sales, Show Low Phone Sales" /

thanks Gringoyle

Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:13 PM
  • "One last Question is their a limit to how many keywords can be used."

I wouldn't worry about it. The search engines (Google/Bing) have learned that what people put in the keyword meta tags is all BS anyway and is to be mainly ignored. What is more important to search engine ranking is what is in the title tag <title> and in the header tags <h1>, <h2> etc and that those headers are hierarchical in the page structure.

See this article: Search Engine Keyword Importance
    • Proposed as answer by Time Bandit Saturday, August 21, 2010 10:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Gringoyle Friday, December 3, 2010 10:04 PM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Keywords aren't really needed anymore as Search Engines look at the actual page copy and not the keywords to determine the make-up of a page.

What I use the keywords meta tag for is to remind me the keywords that the page I'm developing/designing is going after.  So I usually have only a handful of keywords in the meta keyword tag.

Something that may help - Break Down of a Google Search Result

--

• Marked as answer by Gringoyle Friday, December 3, 2010 10:05 PM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:33 PM
  • Each page should have a unique set of keywords that describe the contents of the page. Words that appear near the beginning of the <meta name="keywords"> tag may be considered more relevant than words that appear later in the tag. Generally, the <meta name="keywords"> tag should not exceed 874 characters.

Source:Expression Web4 user guide

Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:40 PM
  • Each page should have a unique set of keywords that describe the contents of the page. Words that appear near the beginning of the <meta name="keywords"> tag may be considered more relevant than words that appear later in the tag. Generally, the <meta name="keywords"> tag should not exceed 874 characters.

Source:Expression Web4 user guide

Not true in any way, shape or form.  Keywords are not used by SE's anymore and having an order to the position of the keyword makes no difference.  Plus 874 characters is about 700 characters too many.

--

Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:57 PM
  • Here it is, right from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Matt Cutts, from Google, explains all in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK7IPbnmvVU

And, of course, you can refer to Google's Webmaster Tools Help for more details.

Yes, there are other search engines, but they pretty much all are after the same answers, so they do the same things. If Google notces that keywords have been abused, they've all noticed it and adjusted their processes.

Some see the glass as half full. Others see the glass as half empty. I see a glass that's clearly twice as large as it needs to be.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:14 PM
  • Gringoyle,

What I am about to say in semi-jest is more true than not.

The purpose of meta-keywords is to make the web owner happy, because it will be one of the first things most of them look for. It is far, far easier to put some reasonable keywords in then to have to explain to the client how little they are used, if any. If you leave them out, and the client later is unhappy with placement in the engines, and a friend shows them how to look at their meta tags, they will blame you for poor placement because "where are my keywords".

I am talking about your run of the mill web owner, not anyone is web savvy or has a web savvy person in charge of the website on their staff.

I have built the better part of 1000 websites over the years, and this scenario comes up more often than one might think!

PS: don't confuse meta-keywords with meta-descriptions, which are used by search engines often. They may not highly influence placement, but they show up visibly in the search engine's returned listings. At least 75% of the time, in my experience.

Rick
    www.allureiw.com

rickidoo
    Friday, August 20, 2010 10:55 AM