none
LSN chain RRS feed

• Question

• I have a set of differential backups for which I seem to have lost the full backups taken in between. As a result, I am unable to restore it to the full backup of the database which is quite old.

Is it possible to modify the LSN of certain differential backups so that I can restore them in continuation over the old full backup?

Monday, February 9, 2015 1:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• No, it's not possible, you can not modify LSN value and you always need a complete backup chain for a restore.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Monday, February 9, 2015 2:22 PM
  • You cannot modify the LSN of any backups.

If you miss full backups, then you wont be able to restore the further differential backups. http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2012/12/backups-gone-bad-the-danger-of-differentials/

Regards, Ashwin Menon My Blog - http:\\sqllearnings.com

Monday, February 9, 2015 2:22 PM
  • I have a set of differential backups for which I seem to have lost the full backups taken in between. As a result, I am unable to restore it to the full backup of the database which is quite old.

Is it possible to modify the LSN of certain differential backups so that I can restore them in continuation over the old full backup?

Hi,

I assume backup information was restored in history table. you can check information from there below script would help you. Source

SELECT 
       CONVERT(CHAR(100), SERVERPROPERTY('Servername')) AS Server,
       msdb.dbo.backupset.database_name, 
       msdb.dbo.backupset.backup_start_date, 
       msdb.dbo.backupset.backup_finish_date,
       msdb.dbo.backupset.expiration_date,
       CASE msdb..backupset.type 
           WHEN 'D' THEN 'Database' 
           WHEN 'L' THEN 'Log' 
       END AS backup_type, 
       msdb.dbo.backupset.backup_size, 
       msdb.dbo.backupmediafamily.logical_device_name, 
       msdb.dbo.backupmediafamily.physical_device_name,  
       msdb.dbo.backupset.name AS backupset_name,
       msdb.dbo.backupset.description
    FROM   msdb.dbo.backupmediafamily 
       INNER JOIN msdb.dbo.backupset ON msdb.dbo.backupmediafamily.media_set_id = msdb.dbo.backupset.media_set_id 
    WHERE  (CONVERT(datetime, msdb.dbo.backupset.backup_start_date, 102) >= GETDATE() - 7) 
    ORDER BY 
       msdb.dbo.backupset.database_name,
       msdb.dbo.backupset.backup_finish_date
    Of course you cannot manipulate LSN

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:02 AM