Serve extensionless URL RRS feed

• Question

• User-711996264 posted

I am trying to have profile pages on a website which are dynamic pages. The url needs to be mydomainname.com/username format and this take them to profiles.aspx?username where i can show the information for that user. The url needs to remain as mydomainname.com/username for search engines and to look more professional. I have looked at using application_begeinrequest in global file, but i cant seem to get this to work properly. I am also open for a better way to do the same. Any ideas or help you can offer me, i need to get this working fast as possible and would really appreciate some help.

Monday, May 12, 2008 6:37 AM

All replies

• User1187105292 posted

DotNetNuke (www.dotnetnuke.com) is a free,open spirce portal that does tricks with the url like that.

If you don't get a link to a short article... 

Monday, May 12, 2008 6:38 AM
  • User1187105292 posted

DotNetNuke (www.dotnetnuke.com) is a free,open source portal that does tricks with the url like that.

If you don't get a link to a short article... 

Monday, May 12, 2008 6:40 AM
  • User-1472285584 posted

I thought this wasn't possible with IIS 6, only IIS 7... but a quick search gave me this article as a workaround:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/omar/archive/2007/04/29/serve-extensionless-url-from-asp-net-without-using-isapi-module-or-iis-6-wildcard-mapping.aspx

Monday, May 12, 2008 9:31 AM
  • User-711996264 posted

Yea i found that article and the idea works, but when i use this line Request.Url.Query.ToString() it gives me the actual 404.aspx url instead of the requested url. In the immediate window it shows the actual request but when i use it like this string reqUrl = Request.Url.Query.ToString() regUrl always holds the 404.aspx page. I cant figure out why its doing this. If i could get the actual request url i can make this work.

Monday, May 12, 2008 9:12 PM
  • User-711996264 posted

Any idea why it does this? 

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 10:58 AM
  • User-1472285584 posted

Hmmm, what about the Request.UrlReferrer ? Maybe that one holds the original request?

Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:00 AM
  • User-711996264 posted

I have it working on the local server using this.

protected void Application_BeginRequest(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {

// HTTP 404 redirection for extensionless URL or some missing file

string currentPath;
            string customPath;

currentPath = Request.Path.ToLower();
            if (System.IO.Path.GetExtension(currentPath) == "")
            {
                // the request is within the /CONTENT/ directory, so re-write the URL to appear to be a filename, rather than a URL with a query string.
                customPath = String.Format("~/Profiles.aspx?uName={0}", System.IO.Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(Request.Path));
                Context.RewritePath(customPath);
            }

}

When i run this on the remote server at disountasp on a 208 server with asp.net 3.5 i get page not found. Any idea what the difference would be?

Sunday, May 18, 2008 9:29 PM
  • User1505216132 posted

Hello

I am facing the same problem, have u got any good result on this?.

Monday, December 21, 2009 7:19 AM