Running Metro Compass Sample App on Build Tablet Hardware. Anyone reporting success with this?

Question

• Running latest Metro Compass Sample App on Build Tablet Hardware with Release Preview.  Anyone successfuly getting valid compass readings with this?  I updated to Release Preview and now only get compass reading from 0 to 180 degrees. I don't get any values from above 180 to 359.  I didn't have this problem in Consumer Preview release however.

Do I need to get an updated driver? How do I know the one I have is the latest?

Friday, June 8, 2012 9:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Victor,

I will try this for you and let you know...

Best Wishes - Eric

Friday, June 8, 2012 9:20 PM
  • Victor,

Are you using the JavaScript version?  Or which version are you using?  Not that it should matter.

Best Wishes - Eric

Friday, June 8, 2012 9:28 PM
  • Victor,

I see the same thing here on the build tablet.  However when I run on the ST sensor it works fine.  I will look into this.

Best Wishes - Eric

Saturday, June 9, 2012 12:19 AM
  • Victor.

This looks like a possible firmware issue with the sensor.  The ST sensor works great in this respect on the same build.  Please feel free to post back her for updates at any time.  I will also update the thread once I have updated news.

Best Wishes - Eric

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:23 AM
  • When you mention ST sensor are you referring to the ST Micro Development Board sensors that Steve Sinofsky talked about in Win 8 blog a few weeks back?  If so, I have one of these also ... do I need another or some kind of specific driver for this to work with RP? I plug it in via USB to my laptop and nothing registers, i.e. it is not recognized in hardware device settings charm. 

With respect to the compass sensor on the build tablet, how do I know which firmware driver is installed? the Compass API returns a magnetic north heading and a true north heading.  How does the compass driver determine declination and to adjust for it?  Is there a calibration routine or will there be a calibration routine in RP? Have you noticed that compass reading are ONLY valid when the tablet is "flat" or horizontal? the reading are inconsistent when holding the tablet up vertical (whether portrait or landscape). 

Thanks Eric ... looking forward to your responses.  Inquiring minds want to know ...

-Victor

Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:34 AM
  • Victor,

Yes the ST Micro Board in Sinofsky's blog.  You will want to request the SW here:

http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/252756.jsp

I will look into the other items for you.

Best Wishes - Eric

Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:31 AM
  • For Metro apps, the sensor platform does not support calibration scenarios. Windows 8 sensor solutions should not require end-user calibration.  Details can be found here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj159304.aspx

Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:48 AM
  • Thanks!!  ST Sensor board is auto-magically working now with Release Preview.  Yay!! 

However, truenorth always returns null (as opposed to 0) while magenticnorth seems to provide the correct value.  still curious about declination and how the compass driver determines what the correct declination is for a specific locale...or is my app supposed to handle that?

Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:14 PM
  • You are very welcome.  My ST board shows magnetic north as well.  I am looking into the declination part.

Best Wishes - Eric

Friday, June 15, 2012 5:05 AM
  • I am still looking into the declination part with regards to the sensor class. 

Somewhat unrelated but here is an interesting site:  http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodels/struts/calcDeclination  If you ever need an exact number.  It might come in helpful at some point.

Best Wishes - Eric

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:25 AM
  • Thanks!!  ST Sensor board is auto-magically working now with Release Preview.  Yay!! 

However, truenorth always returns null (as opposed to 0) while magenticnorth seems to provide the correct value.  still curious about declination and how the compass driver determines what the correct declination is for a specific locale...or is my app supposed to handle that?

Victor,

True north is up to your app to handle when true north is null.  This site is helpful:   http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodels/struts/calcDeclination

Best Wishes - Eric

Friday, June 15, 2012 8:35 PM
  • Victor,

Please do let me know if you have any questions.

Best Wishes - Eric

Friday, June 15, 2012 8:39 PM
  • any confirmation that build tablet hardware magnetometer does indeed report inaccurate results ?  is there a driver download update perhaps available? thanks
    Friday, July 6, 2012 9:01 PM
  • Victor,

The ST evaluation board provides a better experience for sensor development.

Best Wishes - Eric

Friday, July 6, 2012 11:25 PM