LS Development in VB or in C# ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am not a system engineer and was wondering about the pros and cons of developing LS Applications in VB or in C#. Any comments? Jean Pierre Chauny
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:51 PM

All replies

• It really doesn't matter. Simply take the language you feel the most comfortable with. You will miss nothing of the LightSwitch goodness when you use vb or c#.

But, for someone who does not know vb and needs to make a decision about which language to select,  my suggestion would always be to opt for c#.  The reason is, that there is a much larger base of c# devs and it resembles java ( and even java script if you want). So, if you know c#, a higher number of other people can read your code, and you can also read (and use) more easily java and java script.

paul van bladel

Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:44 PM
  • Just to add on to Paul's excellent reply, don't listen to anyone who tells you that either one is better than the other.There are some very evangelical, but misguided people around who will argue all day that their fave language is better than the others. This argument has little validity in general, as most modern languages support basically the extensive feature set, and has even less validity when applied to .NET languages, as 90% of what you use comes from the same framework.

It mostly comes down to what you feel most comfortable with. If you like curly braces, then use C#. if not, use VB.NET :)

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

Friday, May 31, 2013 2:57 PM
  • Thanks for your comments.
    Friday, June 7, 2013 12:57 PM