Importing SQL from SQL Server? RRS feed

• Question

• New to TFS. ( and to this forum... why isn't it allowing me to use the return key?? Script error *sigh*) I need to add a new project to TFS. Manually added a folder and now want to import the SQL from a SQL DB. I find it hard to believe that i really have to script the SQL and then manually place it into TFS. I'm not seeing where i can connect to a dB. Will try to create an export task from the DB to TFS... not holding my breath. A better way?

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 12:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Welcome to join TFS forum.

>New to TFS. ( and to this forum... why isn't it allowing me to use the return key?? Script error *sigh*)

Sometimes when I meet such problem, refresh the page and you will be able to input the return key.

Now come back to our subject, which version of TFS do you use? Is it on premise or online? What kind of the project you want to add to TFS? Is it a SQL project?

>I need to add a new project to TFS. Manually added a folder and now want to import the SQL from a SQL DB. I find it hard to believe that i really have to script the SQL and then manually place it into TFS.

About how to add a new project to TFS, you may refer to the steps in MSDN document. Because I don't know your TFS version, so the version in link below is just for your reference.

How to: Add a Project to Source Control

Add Files to Version Control

It is not clear for me why you want to import the SQL from a SQL DB, it will be better for you to clarify this.  I guess you may handle database project with TFS and want to know how to make it to version control, the links below may be useful for you.

Walkthrough: Put an Existing Database Schema Under Version Control

SQL Server Database Projects and Team Foundation Build

May

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:28 AM
  • You should be able to use SQL Server data tools and create a project from the database, which you can check in. I would expect that you should be able to add the lot in one bang - basically Add Item to Folder and point that to the top directory.

The SSDT forum may be able to give you more help:
    http://social.Msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ssdt/

(I don't use SSDT myself, and it was a while since I played with it.)

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 9:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to join TFS forum.

>New to TFS. ( and to this forum... why isn't it allowing me to use the return key?? Script error *sigh*)

Sometimes when I meet such problem, refresh the page and you will be able to input the return key.

Now come back to our subject, which version of TFS do you use? Is it on premise or online? What kind of the project you want to add to TFS? Is it a SQL project?

>I need to add a new project to TFS. Manually added a folder and now want to import the SQL from a SQL DB. I find it hard to believe that i really have to script the SQL and then manually place it into TFS.

About how to add a new project to TFS, you may refer to the steps in MSDN document. Because I don't know your TFS version, so the version in link below is just for your reference.

How to: Add a Project to Source Control

Add Files to Version Control

It is not clear for me why you want to import the SQL from a SQL DB, it will be better for you to clarify this.  I guess you may handle database project with TFS and want to know how to make it to version control, the links below may be useful for you.

Walkthrough: Put an Existing Database Schema Under Version Control

SQL Server Database Projects and Team Foundation Build

May

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:28 AM
  • You should be able to use SQL Server data tools and create a project from the database, which you can check in. I would expect that you should be able to add the lot in one bang - basically Add Item to Folder and point that to the top directory.

The SSDT forum may be able to give you more help:
    http://social.Msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ssdt/

(I don't use SSDT myself, and it was a while since I played with it.)

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 9:24 PM