Only small FTP files can be downloaded RRS feed

• Question

• User-804104035 posted

Hello,

we have a Win2k3 R2 root server hosted by a provider, so it is directly conntected to the internet. When trying to download files from IIS 6.0 FTP, this works only with small files. Bigger files cause an undefined error message like "File cannot be copied." when transfer is almost fisished. Neither the message does provide any details nor the event log has an entry. So we do not know what went wrong.

Until now we are not sure wether the file size or the time needed to download a file with that size causes our problem.

In our concrete case a file with 7 MB works, a file with 28 MB does not. Both are from the same type and from the same FTP server. Downloading this "big" file from other servers or workstations is no problem.

I do not use a FTP client tool but I use the windows internal "My Computer" window instead by inserting the URL in format ftp://user:pwd@domain/file into the address field. I never had troubles doing so before with other servers. This problem occures since we had to reinstall the whole operating system after a total break down. The old system was no R2. Are there any differences in default settings between Win2k3 and Win2k3 R2 causing our troubles?

Any help is welcome

Thursday, December 20, 2007 7:13 AM

Answers

• User-1853252149 posted

Use the FTP command line app so you can see the response codes from the server.

Jeff

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:39 AM

All replies

• User-1853252149 posted

Use the FTP command line app so you can see the response codes from the server.

Jeff

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:39 AM
  • User-804104035 posted

Hi and thanks for your answer.

When using command line the problem does not occur, so I get no response codes.

The same problem as descibed above happens when I try to upload a file with about 28 MB. When I upload the same file from the same client in the same way to one of our other FTP servers (also IIS 6.0 but Win3k without R2) it works. I cannot find any differences in configuration of both servers. The only difference is the OS.

Upload of smaller files is no problem.

Unfortunately I cannot switch FTP usage to an other client software like ftp.exe although it works. We are software developers and the server has to accept really huge files directly from our software. The MS .NET base libraries we use seem to have the same problem as the windows explorer. Even debugging the source code does not explain what happens.

Any ideas?

Friday, December 21, 2007 6:51 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted

When using command line the problem does not occur, so I get no response codes.

Okay, then you know it's not an FTP issue or an IIS issue, but rather an issue with your software.  Try the ASP.NET forums at forums.asp.net for help.  Might also look into using a FTP component instead of coding this yourself.

Jeff

Friday, December 21, 2007 9:25 AM
  • User-804104035 posted

Sorry, I do not agree. When using an XP workstation without software from us to upload a file to this Win2k3 R2 server (also no software from us) it dont work. We alway use windows explorer for FTP transfers. Also most of our customers do so. Those customers can use our other servers, but not this one. Why? There is no software from us involved.

This IIS seems to behave not in the same way as all of our others do.

An ASP forum will not help me, because we do not use any ASP code.

Friday, December 21, 2007 12:17 PM
  • User1073881637 posted

Have you looked in the FTP logs on the server to see what status codes are occuring?   Does this happen on all workstations or just a single developers workstation?

Saturday, December 22, 2007 4:47 PM
  • User1817176723 posted

Hello,

I was reading this forum about your issue, and I was inquerying as to wether you had resolved this issue. I have this identical problem and have not fixed it? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Joe

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:05 PM
  • User-561438690 posted

In my experience, Windows Explorer has never performed well for me for FTP transfers.

While I am not certain as to the specific reasons why this is (and I wish I knew a straight forward reason!), I always use a batch file through command prompt or a 3rd party FTP client such as SmartFTP whenever I need to be certain to complete the transfer.

At the very least, you may modify and use a simple batch like below to handle your FTP, especially if you will need to manage similar files regularly such as uploading a newer version of a website to a hosting provider. The batch file should wait for prior requests to complete before trying to pass new commands, so as long as everything is in a logical order (such as moving to new directories before trying to get files that should be in them), there shouldn't be a problem.

ftp -i
    open
    ftp.mydomain.com
    username
    password

REM ==== cd - change remote working direcotry
    cd folder\subfolder\etc

REM ==== lcd - change local working directory
    lcd e:\folder\subfolder\filefolder

REM ==== mget - get multiple files (example will get all .asp, .aspx files and index.html from your remote working directory and save them in the local working direcotry)
    mget *.asp *.aspx index.html

REM ==== mput - send multiple files (example will send all .asp, .aspx files and index.html from your local working directory and save them in the remote working direcotry)
    mput *.asp *.aspx index.html

quit

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:56 PM
  • User1073881637 posted

I agree 100% about using IE or Windows Explorer for FTP.  I've seen 'interesting' issues such as this.

SmartFTP is good 

CoreFTP www.coreftp.com or FileZilla client is a good FTP client. http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:58 PM