Can't create shortcuts on Desktop from Metro start menu

Question

• Doing some experimentation with Color Management this evening, I decided I would like to put a shortcut on the Windows 8 desktop temporarily so I could more easily start the Color Management control panel applet.

With Windows 7, what I would have done would have been this:

1.  Click Start, type color management into the search box.

2.  When Color Management came up in the results, I'd drag it with the right mouse button to the desktop, and choose Create Shortcut Here.

I started down the same path in Windows 8, then...   Zzzzzt on step 2.  Can't get there from here.

How, exactly, should I do this with a search result from a Metro search?  Step 1 works to turn up the Color Management applet in the Control panel, but then what?

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Original Title: Found Another Thing the Metro Start Menu Replacement Falls Down On
    Monday, January 9, 2012 6:35 AM

All replies

• How, exactly, should I do this with a search result from a Metro search?  Step 1 works to turn up the Color Management applet in the Control panel, but then what?

Looks like you could pin it to your Taskbar, then find its path in Properties, then open an Explorer window there, then Cut its shortcut, then Paste that.   FWIW I see a small bug then--there is still an icon in the Taskbar after the Cut and Paste but when I open it again and close it from there it disappears.   I think the same procedure could be done in W7 too.

BTW this has re-raised a conundrum about how to pin stuff to the Start Screen, so evidently not even .lnk shortcuts stored in one's Desktop are valid candidates for it?   Or maybe I have to wait for it to be indexed better?   ;  \

FWIW

Robert
    ---

Monday, January 9, 2012 8:40 AM
  • Hi Noel,

I did the same testing and was not able to create a shortcut.
    I suggest you send the feedback on Microsoft Connect to voice your concerns.

Sincerely,

Marilyn
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:41 PM
  • [Modify title]

I did the same testing and was not able to create a shortcut.

@ Marilyn

Noel wants his shortcuts to go to the Desktop.   Were you trying to recreate his problem or mine?   <eg>

Also, in addition to Noel's symptoms I got a related one this morning with  Internet Explorer   (while trying to research IE Metro).   E.g. Search matches that, right-click then finds an Advanced button promising a pin to Taskbar but nothing gets  pinned there?  

Unfortunately I am on W7 again now, so will have to try to remember to check if Indexing actually has had any effect on my Search.  Coincidentally this morning I deleted the "temporary" shortcut (again) from the Taskbar but think the (cut and paste) copy was still left on the Desktop after that.

I think it would really help us if the "Use cases" for what has been implemented could be documented; otherwise what are we testing?

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:51 PM
  • On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 21:51:04 +0000, Robert Aldwinckle on forums [MVP]
    wrote:

I think it would really help us if the "Use cases" for what has been implemented could be documented; otherwise what are we testing?

Keep in mind that while Microsoft is certainly willing to accept bug
    reports and suggestions on this build, it was not released for the purpose
    of testing. It is, after all, a developer preview and was released
    primarily to give developers an early chance to start getting familiar with
    creating apps for Windows 8. We are not meant to be testing anything.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    A CONS is an object which cares.  -- Bernie Greenberg

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:35 PM
  • Thanks, Marilyn and Robert.

Robert, she's saying she is confirming the problem.  It's easy to read it the other way; I did at first too.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:36 AM
  • Robert, she's saying she is confirming the problem.  It's easy to read it the other way; I did at first too.

I was challenging the change of the title.   Or is that Ok too?   ; )

---

Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:47 AM
  • Oops, I didn't make myself clear. I changed the title to better reflect the issue.

Sorry, guys. :)
    Marilyn
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 2:03 AM