Connect SharePoint List view to SSMS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I need your help to install SSIS/SSRS in SSMS

I have connected the SharePoint list view to excel for reporting purpose but due to data size the performances is very slow in excel and now I would like to connect the SharePoint List to SSIS/SSRS

I have windows 8, 64 bit system

I have installed SQL Server Management studio 2012 but I am unable to enable the Integration and Reporting Services

may be I have missed to choose the option during installation, I am not technical strong person so could you please advise in layman language to add SSIS/SSRS feature to existing SSMS

Monday, August 31, 2015 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hi 5Ant,

SSMS is a "SQLServer management studio" tool. Obviously it cannot be used to mange SharePoint because SharePoint is not meant to be managed via SQL tools.

> nd work with them as if they were tables.  

SharePoint lists are NOT tables. 

SharePoint Lists are comprised of 1 or many "content types". each content type has multiple columns. Content types can be used across 1 or many lists.

Do not design a solution on SharePoint thinking that you are working on a database. you will repent it. its not a DB. 

nd I'd be amazed if lists aren't stored interally as tables. 

List data is stored internal SharePoint tables... but Lists themselves don't become independent tables.

Please Dont forget to mark as answer and Helpful Post. It helps others to find relevant posts to the same question. Milan Das

• Marked as answer by 5Ant Tuesday, September 1, 2015 3:04 PM
    Monday, August 31, 2015 3:11 PM
  • Hi 5Ant,

SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) is an integrated environment for accessing, configuring, managing, administering, and developing all components of SQL Server. It is just a tool. SQL Server Management Studio provides features for managing objects in instances of the Database Engine, Analysis Services, Integration Services, and Reporting Services. But it doesn’t means that we can install SSIS/SSRS to SSMS.

SSRS is a services that provides a full range of ready-to-use tools and services to help you create, deploy, and manage reports for your organization. SSIS is a platform for building high performance data integration solutions, including extraction, transformation, and load (ETL) packages for data warehousing.

To install SSRS and SSIS, we need select Reporting Service and Integration Services from the SQL Server installation media. After installing SSRS and SSIS, we can manage the objects in instances of Reporting Services and Integration Services via connect Reporting Services or Integration Services in SSMS.

In SSRS, we can connect to SharePoint List, then use the data from SharePoint List to design a report. In SSIS, we can connect to SharePoint List, then load data from SharePoint List to other destinations. So please use the correct features based on the usage of SharePoint List in your scenario.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 7:57 AM

All replies

• Hi 5Ant,

SSMS is a "SQLServer management studio" tool. Obviously it cannot be used to mange SharePoint because SharePoint is not meant to be managed via SQL tools.

> nd work with them as if they were tables.  

SharePoint lists are NOT tables. 

SharePoint Lists are comprised of 1 or many "content types". each content type has multiple columns. Content types can be used across 1 or many lists.

Do not design a solution on SharePoint thinking that you are working on a database. you will repent it. its not a DB. 

nd I'd be amazed if lists aren't stored interally as tables. 

List data is stored internal SharePoint tables... but Lists themselves don't become independent tables.

Please Dont forget to mark as answer and Helpful Post. It helps others to find relevant posts to the same question. Milan Das

Monday, August 31, 2015 3:11 PM
  • Hi Milan,

Thanks for the info.

i just did some research on this and found the below link where it say we can connect SharePoint list to SSRS, but not sure is this possible with SSMS or MSBI.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633650.aspx

let me know your expert view on this.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 2:19 AM
  • Hi 5Ant,

SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) is an integrated environment for accessing, configuring, managing, administering, and developing all components of SQL Server. It is just a tool. SQL Server Management Studio provides features for managing objects in instances of the Database Engine, Analysis Services, Integration Services, and Reporting Services. But it doesn’t means that we can install SSIS/SSRS to SSMS.

SSRS is a services that provides a full range of ready-to-use tools and services to help you create, deploy, and manage reports for your organization. SSIS is a platform for building high performance data integration solutions, including extraction, transformation, and load (ETL) packages for data warehousing.

To install SSRS and SSIS, we need select Reporting Service and Integration Services from the SQL Server installation media. After installing SSRS and SSIS, we can manage the objects in instances of Reporting Services and Integration Services via connect Reporting Services or Integration Services in SSMS.

In SSRS, we can connect to SharePoint List, then use the data from SharePoint List to design a report. In SSIS, we can connect to SharePoint List, then load data from SharePoint List to other destinations. So please use the correct features based on the usage of SharePoint List in your scenario.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 7:57 AM
  • do you have any .exe file to install SSIS and SSRS into my system.

Do we need to have any platform like Dot Net to install and work on SSIS and SSRS

or is that it will support  even on Widows 8 like  SSMS tool the one which already have.

please advise...

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 3:08 PM
  • I have to agree with Milan Das's idea that you would want to use SP as a source of data.

In theory if you'd constrain a SharePoint list, you could have it act as an MS Sql table right? Yes you'd loose functionality that you had gained as a SharePoint list but atleast it would all be nicely stored in one location.

"SharePoint lists are NOT tables. " -> they should be available in this context.

For me personally I find that "SharePoint lists are NOT tables. " remark is motivating me to not touch SharePoint again, why wouldn't SharePoint want itself to be more compatible? 

Friday, August 14, 2020 2:19 PM