Want to revert back to Windows 7 from Windows Developer Preview

Question

• I did the clean Win 8 install from the DVD and installed on the C drive (left the other partitions alone) I'm trying to restore my Toshiba laptop with the recovery partition, but it won't except pressing 0 on boot up. It just goes back to win 8 start up.  Does this install effect the recovery partition ? Also 1 more question - When I start Win 8 my toshiba BIOS does not show options for setup or boot sequence. Could this have been changed with the Win 8 install? 
    Mike Ellaby
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:41 AM

All replies

• When I start Win 8 my toshiba BIOS does not show options for setup or boot sequence. Could this have been changed with the Win 8 install?

The BIOS screen shows before Windows starts loading, and is separate from the Windows OS. Installing or reinstalling Windows should not alter it.

I'm trying to restore my Toshiba laptop with the recovery partition, but it won't except pressing 0 on boot up.

Toshiba - Restore PC to its factory condition:
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletinDetail.jsp?soid=2737864&pf=true

If the restore partition doesn't work - check with Toshiba support:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp

If needed, order Toshiba install disks to reinstall Windows 7:

Toshiba - Order Recovery Disks:
    https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/serviceUnitVerification.jsp

Sunday, January 22, 2012 6:22 AM
  • Thanks Trek for the response. I've found I got a intermittent problem. Most times I reboot the bios screen does not show the options for setup or boot sequence. When it does show I can use the F2,F12 or 0 (zero) keys. I'm sure this was not like this before I installed Win 8. I thought Win 8 was going to change the boot files for quicker boots. Maybe my bios has been effected by this install.
    Mike Ellaby
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 7:00 AM
  • You have to disable "hybrid boot" or your bios will not let you access boot options.
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:16 PM
  • Hi mellaby,

you may try pressing and holding one or more keys on the keyboard at startup, thus causing a stuck key error. This may allow you to enter the BIOS setup.

Irfan
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 5:07 PM
  •  Can't find hybrid boot in my bios.
    Mike Ellaby
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:27 AM
  • Hello mellaby,

Hybrid boot is not enabled in the BIOS.

Go to Control Panel, select Power Options.
    In the left hand pane, click on “Choose what the power buttons do.” At the top of the next screen, select the “Change settings that are currently unavailable.”

Hybrid Boot is enabled by default.
    Under Windows shutdown settings, uncheck the Hybrid Boot.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:35 PM
  • Disabling hybrid boot screwed my pc. Now it won't shut down unless I hold down the power button.

Boot up is really slow and re enabling hybrid boot does not fix the problem. 

Mike Ellaby
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:52 AM
  • Do a system restore to before you disabled Hybrid Boot.

Go to Start page. Type in System Restore.
    Click on Settings on the right side.
    On the left side of the page, it has entries for the different options.
    Click on Restore system files and settings from a Restore point.
    Click Next.
    Click on the file for the Date and Time to before you had the issue with Hybrid Boot.
    The next page confirms the restore point.
    Click on Finish button.
    Your system will be restored to the time and date before you were experiencing the issue.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:39 AM
  • I did a system refresh before I got this info.
    Mike Ellaby
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:21 AM
  • So did the system restore help with getting Hybrid Boot re-enabled?
    And you still have the original issue?
    Marilyn
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:54 PM
  • Marilyn I did a system refresh (not restore) before I got your previous message and my pc is working fairly well but still have the intermittent bios issue. As long as I can get into the bios I'll be able to return to Win 7 later. 

Mike

Mike Ellaby
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:43 AM
  • Hello mellaby,

did you install WDP on the C drive on which Windows7 was installed and you formatted it to make way for WDP, or was it installed on a separate drive leaving the Windows 7 in its place? If the latter is the case, you still have the Windows 7 drive with all its data and applications in place. In this case, you have simply lost the Windows7 in the boot menu. To retrieve it, either you use the Recovery partition or a Windows7 disk, which probably you don't have. Try to run just any Windows7 disk/USB to start the installation, direct the installation to the drive Windows7 was loaded on, select to repair Windows 7, rather than Install it. Once the repair is complete you will get back the Windows7 option back in your boot menu.

Haven't tried it before with a PC with a Recovery Partition, yet I can't see any harm in trying it.

You may also try editing the boot menu[bcdedit] to add Windows7 on it.

Irfan

• Edited by Irfanfare Friday, January 27, 2012 2:18 PM repetition
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:28 PM
  • Irfan, I installed Win 8 on the C drive with the format option, but it went straight into the install without formatting. I'm wondering if the C drive is not clean of Win 7 (just a guess)  On a clean install with this Win 8 are you supposed to delete the C partition before formatting or not?
    Mike Ellaby
    Friday, January 27, 2012 4:43 AM
  • No, mellaby,

all you have to do is to select a drive on which to install WDP, without deleting any partition, unless you have to, to make more space to merge in another drive. If the drive wasn't formatted, the most you can expect is a Windowsold folder, containing your previous Windows data, but certainly not the OS. Your Windows7 is definitely not there any more, but your Recovery partition has to be there. You may post a question asking for a way to get your Recovery Partition back after a WDP install. I am also curious about it.

Irfan
    Friday, January 27, 2012 2:13 PM
  •  I can due a recovery fine if my bios shows the f2, f12 options, then I just hold the 0 key then tap at the bios screen and I get in. The problem is I have to reboot multiple times before the f2, f12 options appear. If the options don't appear I can't use the 0 key option for recovery.
    Mike Ellaby
    Friday, January 27, 2012 7:35 PM
  • Hi Mike,

See if some thing can be done through the Disk Management. Right click Computer in Windows Explorer, click Manage, select Disk Management. You are likely to find unmarked System Reserved space on your drive, select one that looks large enough to hold a Recovery Partition, right click it and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths... name the drive with a letter assigned by the system. Now that your Recovery Partition can be accessed, let's see what can be done with it.

Irfan
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:24 AM
  • Irfan, Disk Management shows 2 other partitions: 1.46 GB healthy active, recovery partition, and a 8 GB healthy primary partition. I can't change drive letters on these partitons.
    Mike Ellaby
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:58 PM
  • Hi Mike,

here's a link to access BIOS in different computers: Access/Enter Motherboard BIOS.

Can you try one more thing, if you have a letter assigned to your partition drive, you may later undo it: Install EasyBCD, it's an application used to edit boot menu, add your Recovery Partition drive as one of the OS's besides the WDP, follow instructions given on the app. On your next restart, I hope to see the Recovery Partition option to select to boot from, choose it. Lets see what happens next.

Irfan
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 3:28 AM
  • Irfan, I can't assign a drive letter to my recovery partition so in Easy BCD I can't add a new entry.
    Mike Ellaby
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 4:06 PM
  • Hi Mike,

please go back to the EasyBCD application window. Click on Add New Entry, under the Operating Systems in the Windows tab, you will find 3 entries: Type, Name and Drive. In the Drive, click on the drop down menu, choose BOOT, then click on Add Entry. Exit and Restart.  Best of luck, we are sort of groping in the dark.

Irfan
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 5:00 PM
  • Well that changed the bios showing the options, but went I pick the other partition it asks for my disc only. I'll keep booting to she if it did something to the bios, but later I'll remove Easy BCD. When I remove BCD will my boot options clear?
    Mike Ellaby
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:03 PM
  • No, it easy to delete the extra entry if it doesn't work. Open the app EasyBCD, click on Edit Boot Menu, select the extra entry you have made, chose the Delete tab to delete it, Save settings.

In the meantime you can Search for ways to convert a Recovery Partition into a bootable disk, I will do the same and post back.

Irfan
    Here's one:http://forum.notebookreview.com/averatec/154704-create-recovery-dvd-recovery-partition.html
    • Edited by Irfanfare Monday, January 30, 2012 3:14 AM to complete
    Monday, January 30, 2012 3:06 AM