Two questions about ngen.exe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've got two questions about ngen.exe:

- On 64 Bit Vista, how do I tell ngen.exe whether it should generate a 32 bit or 64 bit native image?

- Is there any ngen equivalent to compile or cross-compile for Windows CE/Windows Mobile on ARM platforms?

Thanks a lot!

Markus

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:04 PM

Answers

• > how do I tell ngen.exe whether it should generate a 32 bit or 64 bit

Use the ngen.exe under Framework64 instead of Framework when you want a 64-bit image.

> Is there any ngen equivalent

No, there is no ngen in .NET Compact Framework.

> cross-compile

No.  ngen is intended to create "cached" native images for the local system, not compiled DLLs that you can move freely from system to system.

• Marked as answer by SamAgain Wednesday, June 23, 2010 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:39 AM

All replies

• > how do I tell ngen.exe whether it should generate a 32 bit or 64 bit

Use the ngen.exe under Framework64 instead of Framework when you want a 64-bit image.

> Is there any ngen equivalent

No, there is no ngen in .NET Compact Framework.

> cross-compile

No.  ngen is intended to create "cached" native images for the local system, not compiled DLLs that you can move freely from system to system.

• Marked as answer by SamAgain Wednesday, June 23, 2010 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:39 AM
  • Hi, Binarycoder,

Thanks for your answer. I know that ngen is meant for local systems, but the deployment process for the compact framework is somewhat different from desktop and server environments. You don't have users installing applications from everywhere, but you have some vendors integrating their software and the Windows CE/Mobile into an image which is deployed identically to dozens or millions of devices. So cross-compilation would completely make sense here.

Markus
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:14 AM