none
Updating host OS on an Edge device? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

I am currently exploring possibilities of integrating Azure IoT solutions in a smart healthcare scenario where a hub (i.e. an IoT Edge device), remotely installed in a residential area, collects sensor data from leaf devices and pushes it to the cloud. The edge device (RasPi3 + Raspbian Jessie) is running several docker containers to interact with sensors and handle collected data. Remote management of these deployed containers (updating, rolling back, passing arguments, etc.) is well-described in the tutorials and seems quite straight-forward. 

I am now wondering about the best way of applying OS-level updates to the IoT Edge device, such as, for example, updating a package or applying a security patch? Is there is an official API for that? If not, would creating a custom docker listening for such requests be an option, and what is the recommended way of accessing the host Linux OS from within a docker container?

There is also a tutorial on how to update device firmware through device configuration, but it seems to be applicable only to leaf devices, not Edge devices. 

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 12:56 PM

All replies