none
After Office 2016 update to 16.0.10730.20088 version VSTO not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have Excel COM Add-in. This project is created on Visual Studio 2010, Excel 2007, .NET FrameWork 3.5. 

This COM Add-in works with 32-bit Excel versions: 2007/2010/2013/2016. Recently my clients updated Excel to latest version(16.0.10730.20088) and it stopped properly working. This happen only with Excel 2016. Clients who are working with latest 2007/2010/2013 Excel version have no problems. Then I downgraded Excel version to: 16.0.10325.20082 it works normal, sadly a lot of clients already have Office 2016 and each started calling because after update project not working.

Adding pictures of different Excel 2016 versions below - to show what is not working, and will try to explain.

In project we have simple empty Form1 and UserForm which has menu, buttons, fields, grid and other stuff you can see in pictures bellow. On ThisAddIn_Startup we are putting UserForm on Form:

myControl = new UserControl1();
    frmSarasai = new Form1();
    frmSarasai.Controls.Add(myControl);
    myControl.Dock = DockStyle.Fill;

So after UPDATE for e.g: Panel, TabPage, and all items inside are blank and grey "like" empty form as you can see. Also Try Catch does not detect any issues and user does not receive any error. I will repeat: users with Excel 2007/2010/2013 working just fine! This is happen only for Excel 2016. The only solution for each user only to downgrade to any version below. 

So I'm writing here, to find out how to fix this without making users back to older Excel versions?

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Vytautas,

This could be a problem with version incompatibility or a bug in the latest release.

We are testing it and will reflect this question to our relevant team.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Bruce

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 1:05 PM
  • Thanks for reply Bruce,

Please update me on progress, also if you will need any additional information feel free to ask.

Vytautas

Thursday, September 13, 2018 4:57 AM
  • Hello!

We also have a problem with VSTO addin for Outlook after the same update. On our side it reproduced as following:

We've embedded custom control at the top of reading pane in Outlook. But after this update our control is displayed as separate window.

Best regards,

Mikhail

Thursday, September 13, 2018 7:24 AM
  • Hello

In our case the issue is caused by 3rd-party lib(Add-in Express) that we are using for embedding into Outlook UI.  

https://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=15131

https://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=15128

Best regards,

Mikhail

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:45 AM
  • We have the same problem with an Outlook add-in that adds an adjoining form region to the appointment. 

On installations with version 10730.20102 the region looks like this:

On installations with older versions of Outlook it works as expected:

We don't get any errors, even if we run Outlook with the developer setting to "Show add-in user interface errors".

Thanks, Eric

Eric Quist

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 2:53 PM
  • Same here: Visual studio does not show any warning or errors, I've also tried to find where code "breaks" by adding message boxes, writing text file what function enter/exit, but seems code runes normal without interrupts and no errors presented. But the UI does not show few controls on office 2016 its like there is nothing added on control. While same version/build of add-in opening on Excel 2007/2010/2013 works great.

Bruce Dai any update?

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 8:05 AM
  • Today, we have discovered that everything works as it should if we set "Optimize for compatibility" under File -> Options -> General -> User Interface options.

Eric Quist

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 10:20 AM
  • Today, we have discovered that everything works as it should if we set "Optimize for compatibility" under File -> Options -> General -> User Interface options.

Eric Quist

WOW! You are right this solves issue, thanks a lot. Is there any documentation about this options in Excel ? And how resolve issues under first radio box?
    Wednesday, September 19, 2018 10:39 AM
  • I haven't looked into documentation, but just satisfied with the workaround until Microsoft resolves the bug (because that is how I look at this). I don't think we as developers or users can do anything to resolve this under the first radio option.

Eric Quist

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 12:25 PM
  • Hi Vytautas,

Did you solevd your problem or any updates for this?  If you have any question, or update,

please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Bruce

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Friday, September 28, 2018 3:06 AM
  • Hi Vytautas,

Did you solevd your problem or any updates for this?  If you have any question, or update,

please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Bruce

Hi Bruce Dai,

Eric Quist found temporary solution. Adding screen shot. After selecting "Optimize for compatibility" forms and whole other stuff inside are visible, if we press "Optimize for best appearance" again forms and inside stuff is just invisible without any errors. As i mention before this problem started after update to version: 16.0.10730.20088. I've also tried all other versions till latest update to: 16.0.10827.20138 but still same - form has invisible elements. Bruce Dai you should forward this to MS team, its definitely bug. Please update us on this issue.

Friday, September 28, 2018 5:44 AM
  • Hi Vytautas,

Thank you for your reply. As you said, I will feedback this question to our relevant team. In

addition, I wish you a happy life.

Best Regards,

Bruce

Friday, September 28, 2018 8:57 AM