About to get app verified. Looking for advice. RRS feed

• Question

• I am about to start the verification process for my company's main web app.  Right now it is a pure web app, but is in the process of being converted into a smart client app by building a "custom browser" - using the web browser object inside a windows form.  We will be using ClickOnce to deploy. 

Does anyone have any recommendations or possible pitfalls I should be aware as I go through the Vista Certification process for this type of smart client application? 

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 8:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Tone,

I would recommend contacting swlogo@microsoft.com with a description of your application.  It is my understanding that pure web applications do not qualify for the Certified for program.  Swlogo can help determine this officially for you.

Once you switch to ClickOnce I believe your application will qualify for the certified program.  You will see that many of the test cases are not applicable for click once applications, which should make your efforts pretty straight forward.  The test case you will have to spend the most time on is identifying if your application creates/replaces any wrp keys.  Normally they do not.

Friday, January 26, 2007 2:52 AM
  • If you are converting it from web app to smart client app and using Click once you will be able to certify your application.

Using a click once deployment for the certification is smart!!!! All the the tricky parts of the certification I know of are regarding an MSI deployment. There was some confusing parts on the click once tests only but I believe it's been fixed with version 1.2 of the test cases. If you are using click once the following Test cases you are exempt from:

ClickOnce exempted from tests: 12, 18, 21, 22, 23, 24,25,26,27,28,29

ClickOnce only tests: 16, 17

Please double check my list, it's possible I made a mistake in going through the test cases!!!
    Tuesday, January 30, 2007 5:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Tone,

I would recommend contacting swlogo@microsoft.com with a description of your application.  It is my understanding that pure web applications do not qualify for the Certified for program.  Swlogo can help determine this officially for you.

Once you switch to ClickOnce I believe your application will qualify for the certified program.  You will see that many of the test cases are not applicable for click once applications, which should make your efforts pretty straight forward.  The test case you will have to spend the most time on is identifying if your application creates/replaces any wrp keys.  Normally they do not.

Friday, January 26, 2007 2:52 AM
  • If you are converting it from web app to smart client app and using Click once you will be able to certify your application.

Using a click once deployment for the certification is smart!!!! All the the tricky parts of the certification I know of are regarding an MSI deployment. There was some confusing parts on the click once tests only but I believe it's been fixed with version 1.2 of the test cases. If you are using click once the following Test cases you are exempt from:

ClickOnce exempted from tests: 12, 18, 21, 22, 23, 24,25,26,27,28,29

ClickOnce only tests: 16, 17

Please double check my list, it's possible I made a mistake in going through the test cases!!!
    Tuesday, January 30, 2007 5:27 PM