Homegroup question- Do i have to create a new one or can i join the current one?

Question

• So the PC I created my Homegroup on is the same one i'm using to dual boot W8 on and i was wondering if i had to create a new homegroup with W8 or can i use the same password. right now it only says create. when i first installed it asked for the password but i updated instead after that it said create and not enter password. did something happen? or does one of my computers on the homegroup need to be on in order to see the homegroup?
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:26 PM

Answers

• Since the Homegroup was created on the same computer that you have dual booted with Windows Developer Preview, then the Windows Developer Preview OS does not see that a Homegroup has been created and is asking you to create one.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:54 AM

All replies

• Homegroup is basically a streamlined interface to set sharing between several computers. Whether a homegroup is available is done by asking other computers on the local network. If there is no such computer available, Windows assumes then no homegroup has been created yet and offer you to create a new one. If there is a computer which says it has a homegroup available, Windows offers you to join it. On one local network there is a limit of one homegroup.

So, if no computer with the homegroup is on, the homegroup is not found by Windows; colorally, to join it, at least one computer in the homegroup must be on.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:46 PM
  • there is a homegroup setup and it saw it when i first installed but after i updated it doesn't see it anymore it only asks to create one. any ideas on why this is?
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:53 PM
  • Since the Homegroup was created on the same computer that you have dual booted with Windows Developer Preview, then the Windows Developer Preview OS does not see that a Homegroup has been created and is asking you to create one.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:54 AM