explorer.exe crashes in WDP

Question

• In general I had very good experiences using WDP OS since I've installed it 3 weeks ago. However, the one thing I've noticed during this time is frequent explorer.exe process crashes just like in Windows 7 prior to SP1 issuance. The difference is that if in Windows 7 explorer.exe failure would lead to system hang up and you would have to log off or even reboot, Windows 8 explorer.exe failure just causes termination of the Explorer processes only in a very quick fashion without affecting the rest of the system processes. So it's not a problem like in Windows 7, just a nuisance. However, since after installation of SP1 I've had this issue eliminated in Windows 7 I'm just wondering if the causes of these failures are the same and thus might be successfully cured before the final Windows 8 is released.
    Vladimir Shipitsyn
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 3:15 AM

All replies

• Have you done anything or install any application before this problem start to happening?

There are several reason that cause Explorer.exe crash, you could open even viewer and look into event log and you will see what cause the crash or error number if any. Since it is pre-bata version, make sure let Explorer.exe collect information and if it ask to send detail to Microsoft please let it do so.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 6:28 AM
  • What do you have in your Action Center? I mean the Reliability Monitor. Personally I am having lotsa problems with IE10 Metro UI. It crashes almost every my breath. And every crash is logged in Reliability Monitor. Select Troubleshooting in Action Center.
    Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:15 AM
  • I've just examined my event log and found no details in regard to explorer.exe crashes. Every time it does so I see it marked as "non-critical error" by WER and subsequently an error report gets deleted as junk file
    Vladimir Shipitsyn
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 3:56 PM
  • Hi,

Windows Explorer crashes are mostly caused by an incompatible Shell Extension.

please download this reg file from my SkyDrive:

http://cid-128fc518635be2dc.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/MS%20Foren/Registry/WER_Explorer_full.reg

and make a double click on the file to import it. If you can't do this, run regedit.exe and import the registry file there!

When the Windows Explorer crashes, Windows Error Reporting Service [1] creates a dmp file under C:\Localdumps. Please upload the file to your public Skydrive [2] folder and post the link here. I take a look at the dump with the Debugger, maybe I can see which Shell extension is the cause.

André

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181%28VS.85%29.aspx
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Saturday, October 22, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Mostly my Reliability Monitor shows shutdown and boot errors. It says "system configuration settings prevent fast shutdown". I guess the reason is that I have dual-boot and the only time computer uses WDP boot manager is after WDP is shut down (not restarted!) If I restart WDP it uses Windows 7 boot manager. Moreover, System Information lists as a boot device Volume2 of Harddisc 0 which is the drive where no system files are located and which is used exclusively for keeping documents, pictures, music and videos. This is the only partition where the system would not allow me to change the drive letter. It's very strange to have non-system drive to be listed as boot device, but I believe the computer has done this to provide for dual-boot capabilities.

As far as IE10 performance goes I have no problems with it (but for the fact that I can't close it, suspend only when it's in Metro fashion) My issue is that I have to learn new and different mouse movements to operate properly within Metro interface and Metro version of IE10 in particular.

The big problem with Metro version of IE10 is that you can't access your favorites folder from within it and have to switch to Desktop IE 10 version. Also I've installed the recent version of Flash Player 11 x64 and it works only in Desktop IE 10 while I'm unable to watch practically any videos while in Metro IE 10

Otherwise, I've installed all the programs I had installed in Windows 7 without compatibility mode (but my Ethernet adapter) and after a short adjustment period they all work fine.

Vladimir Shipitsyn
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Andre,

Here is the link to WER crash report file uploaded to my public Skydrive:

https://bay154.mail.live.com/default.aspx?id=64855#!https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=e1de01f33e52fe24&sc=documents&nl=1&uc=1&id=E1DE01F33E52FE24%21320

Vladimir Shipitsyn
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 4:36 PM
  • the report.wer doesn't help. Upload the DMP file.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Unfortunately I have no .dmp files saved on my computer
    Vladimir Shipitsyn
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Did you get new Explorer crashes after importing the .reg file?

Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:07 PM
  • I tried to import this file, however, I get the message saying that the file is damaged and partial download could not be completed. However, I stopped having Explorer crashes at least for now. So I guess it actualy did get imported on a very first try without me having noticed that.
    Vladimir Shipitsyn
    • Edited by chipvlad Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:49 PM
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:41 PM
  • I downloaded the .reg file and importing works fine. Try to download it again.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 9:54 PM
  • Hi Andre,

I have downloaded your reg file and as soon as I merged it into the registry the system crashed. So it did not take long to capture the dmp file. Since the file was 176 meg, I have compressed it in order to put it in my skydrive folder.

Please find the link here https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=58e31ed1e25f38e4&resid=58E31ED1E25F38E4!629

Thank you for any help with this explorer crash issue.

Gary Stephen

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:11 PM

• Please find the link here https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=58e31ed1e25f38e4&resid=58E31ED1E25F38E4!629

Thank you for any help with this explorer crash issue.

Hi Gary,

your Explorer crash is cauused by the program 2BrightSparks DeleteOnClick (C:\Program Files\2BrightSparks\DeleteOnClick\DeleteOnClick64.dll
    ).

So remove this tool from Windows 8 and contact the support of the program so that they can make it Win8 compatible.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Andre

Thank you very much,  this program supplies a way to securely delete files and is very handy. Will forward info off to 2BrightSparks.

Gary Stephen

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Will forward info off to 2BrightSparks.

Gary Stephen

ok :)

Friday, November 25, 2011 1:21 PM
  • After getting more experience now working with WDP I believe that explorer exe crashes are caused by specific RAM memory distribution prioritization characteristic of Windows 8 and should not be regarded as anything out of the ordinary especially since no damage is done to the system or do any other processes.
    Vladimir Shipitsyn
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:25 PM
  • generate the dumps, this is the only way to see the cause. Gary was also able to do it. Try it again and post the error message if it fails again.

Thursday, December 01, 2011 3:42 PM