none
Access denied to users outside local network RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a problem with users trying to log in using a domain account from outside our local network.  And occasionally inside our local network.

Unfortunately this problem doesnt occur all the time.  Sometimes users have no problem logging in.  It also seems to depend on the type of permissions the user has.  It seems to be the Read permission that has the problem.  All contributors and full control users dont experience this issue.

We needed to be able to give granular permissions to libraries so here is how things are set up.

I have admins who have full control of everything.  I have a group called managers that have contribute permissions to certain document libraries  but have Read, Limited access to the Site Pages library.  I have another group called Readers who have read permission to the Site Pages library but they also have individual permissions to their personal document library.  The problem is occurring with the third group.  Notice that for some reason when I look at there permissions that they have Read permissions to the site pages library, not Read, Limited Access as does the Managers. This is the only difference I can find.

If I go straight to a Readers document library I am able to log in just fine but when I try to log into the root of the site collection I get the access denied error.  This seems to be occurring more often when the user is outside our local network.

The strangest part is that sometimes the stars align and everything works fine.

Our environment is running in a Xen virtual environment.  We have 1 SQL server 1 AD server and 1 Sharepoint server.

Any help would be appreciated

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 3:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Greysun,

Thanks for your post.

According to your said, there are some web parts or images in the root site, which you did not have read permissions. The web parts may be some document libraries or lists. So please check whether you have permissions to the files. (The easiest way to do this is remove all the web parts in root site, and then add them one by one)

Then, I suggest you to give read permissions to the users for the site collection at first. If need, you can break the inherit permissions then. It’s not a good idea to set many individual permissions to many lists or libraries.

Share your result.

Friday, October 7, 2011 3:51 AM
  • Since site pages contains the page to which users navigate, it is good to give at-least read permission to the Site Pages library to all the users in the site. You have mentioned that the users have Limited Access to the libraries based on the group so if any custom web part is accessing the library or list that has a limited access permission for the logged in user you will face the same issue. Try to set read permission instead of Limited Access and check for the issue.

Please let me know if it helps.

Ajeet
    Friday, October 7, 2011 4:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Greysun,

Thanks for your post.

According to your said, there are some web parts or images in the root site, which you did not have read permissions. The web parts may be some document libraries or lists. So please check whether you have permissions to the files. (The easiest way to do this is remove all the web parts in root site, and then add them one by one)

Then, I suggest you to give read permissions to the users for the site collection at first. If need, you can break the inherit permissions then. It’s not a good idea to set many individual permissions to many lists or libraries.

Share your result.

Friday, October 7, 2011 3:51 AM
  • Since site pages contains the page to which users navigate, it is good to give at-least read permission to the Site Pages library to all the users in the site. You have mentioned that the users have Limited Access to the libraries based on the group so if any custom web part is accessing the library or list that has a limited access permission for the logged in user you will face the same issue. Try to set read permission instead of Limited Access and check for the issue.

Please let me know if it helps.

Ajeet
    Friday, October 7, 2011 4:40 AM