Could not connect to the server RRS feed

• Question

• TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------

Cannot connect to ********.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=2&LinkId=20476

The system cannot find the file specified

BUTTONS:

OK
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 3:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Thursday, September 3, 2015 6:04 AM
    • Edited by Rachit Sikroria Thursday, September 3, 2015 7:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by pituachMVP Saturday, September 12, 2015 9:52 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 3:21 AM
  • 1) Double-check your server name.

2) where is this database server? somewhere in the n/w, domain or local?

3) Are you able to ping the server?

Thursday, September 3, 2015 3:24 AM
  • WIMD, if you copy text straight off other people's articles from the Internet, then please have the courtesy to mention that this isn't your text and also give credit to the person who spent time and effort on producing the text. Mentioning in the beginning of your answer where you got this from and who wrote it, is considered basic netiquette.

(My apologies if you happens to be Jugal Shah, working under a pseudonym.)

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog

Thursday, September 3, 2015 6:52 AM
  • VIMD, and Rachit Sikroria  !!!

If your answer was copied from someone else post, without getting his explicit approval, then this is stealing!!  (I can understand it might be mistake and that someone did not understand, but this does not change the fact)
    IN THIS CASE PLEASE REMOVE IT FROM THE FORUM!

Stealing, and giving credits to where it was stolen from, does not make right! moreover, this is not just illegal in most countries, THIS IS NOT ETHICAL (even if the country laws do not say so!). We as people that writes blogs and articles do not want that someone will do it for us as well.

You should post link to the original post instead of copy his work to here.

* if you are the original author please inform us :-)
      in this case WELL DONE!

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]

• Edited by pituachMVP Thursday, September 3, 2015 1:40 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 7:01 AM
  • I agree with Tibor and Ronen. Unfortunately WIMD (his name is Dinesh Vishe) has habit of copying and pasting without giving credit to original author. I have presonally requested him many a times but he does not pays any attention.

For question,

This is common scenario which can have many reasons. Rick Byham from MS  team has written good article I suggest you follow this

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

• Edited by Shanky_621MVP Thursday, September 3, 2015 7:04 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Naomi N Friday, September 4, 2015 2:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by pituachMVP Saturday, September 12, 2015 9:53 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 7:02 AM
  • Ronen,

Rachit did have the URL where the text comes from, in the beginning of the reply (perhaps a bit vague that the text following come from the article linked, but still...).

Thursday, September 3, 2015 7:05 AM
  • Ronen,

Rachit did have the URL where the text comes from, in the beginning of the reply (perhaps a bit vague that the text following come from the article linked, but still...).

I had orginally posted only the links but VIMD's post was irritating and forced me to edit my post later. I will revert it back to just links now. I myself dislike such practices but I have seen people ignoring the replies with just links.

Please mark as answer or vote as helpful if my reply does

Thursday, September 3, 2015 7:09 AM
  • TiborK ,Stealing, and giving credits to where it was stolen from, does not make right!

Unless the original EXPLICITLY approve this (WIKI articles for example usually approve it in the licence), but even in this case it is THIS IS NOT ETHICAL to copy as it as in my opinion.

signature   Ronen Ariely

• Edited by pituachMVP Thursday, September 3, 2015 1:41 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 7:13 AM

• I had orginally posted only the links but VIMD's post was irritating and forced me to edit my post later. I will revert it back to just links now. I myself dislike such practices but I have seen people ignoring the replies with just links.

Please mark as answer or vote as helpful if my reply does

Well done Rachit :-)

signature   Ronen Ariely

Thursday, September 3, 2015 7:15 AM
  • If the link requires registration, you need to indicate it to prevent people wasting time.

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect Artificial Intelligence
    New Book / Kindle: Beginner Database Design & SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2014

Friday, September 4, 2015 1:23 AM
  • Since VIMD did not confirms that the message was originally written by himself, or that he have explicit approval to post it here from the original author, I cleared the content of the message! posting the message as it is looks like illegal action.

signature   Ronen Ariely

Saturday, September 12, 2015 9:47 PM