Dual Boot Windows 8 from VHD using Windows Setup

General discussion

• I feel it is prudent & timely I bring this to your attention... Forgive me if it's buried eleswhere in the Forum, already.  But, it won't be long before the Betas for Windows 8 surface... understand there will be an offering available to the general public.  This (below) is expecially nice as it requires no virtual sofware such as Windows VPC, VMware, VirtualBox, et al.

Dual Boot Windows 8 from VHD using Windows Setup | Concurrency Blog

Regards,
    Drew

Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com

Monday, February 13, 2012 5:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the link. Any clue how to migrate a VHD? Do you know how to move a VHD with already installed Windows 8 to a new partition or drive?

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:31 AM
  • You're welcome.

Yes; it is just another file... simply copy/paste or drag-n-drop like any other file.

Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com

Monday, February 13, 2012 11:05 AM
  • Yes; it is just another file... simply copy/paste or drag-n-drop like any other file.

Yeah, but it's linked to bootmgr's database... So the question was more about re-linking the moved VHD in the BCD. Moving the VHD without chaning the Boot Configuration Database renders the OS unbootable.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:10 AM
  • Yes, good point, my bad, should have been included, thank you.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:08 AM
  • You can follow pretty much the same instructions or steps as you would with Windows 7 to create or modify a BCD entry for the VHD in bootmgr.

Check out the documentation for modifying or creating BCD Stores.

---
    Matt A. Tobin
    Commanding Officer
    Binary Outcast

Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:51 AM