none
2007 : Custom Task Field omnipresent RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In PWA 2007, I created a custom field, entity: Task, with a drop down list. While I was customizing a view in the Resource Plan (I wanted to add another custom field) I discovered that the Task custom field was available there, with predefined values for each resource. How is it possible?

NB: I assigned a value of this Task lookup table in only one project where resources were assigned to tasks. But there is no correlation between these values and the value in the Resource Plan.

Thanks for any idea

Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:34 PM

All replies

• So you created a new custom task field and it was magically available in a Resource Center view?  Specifically, that resource field was already linked to a lookup table - or it was linked to your lookup table, but the Resources had already been set to specific values?

A couple of thoughts:

1) You created a custom task field sharing a name with a custom resource field.  What is the name of the field in question?

2) You somehow repurposed an existing lookup table.  Not sure how this would result in the observed symptoms, but it might cause something kind of similar.

Could you provide more information about the field in question and its purpose?  Thanks

Monday, July 12, 2010 2:45 AM
  • And also what Service pack and CUs (should be SP2 and all CUs!).

--

Rod Gill
    Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz

Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com

"Andrew Lavinsky [MVP]" wrote in message news:321ae353-a7cd-41d1-82df-e1544b34989d...

So you created a new custom task field and it was magically available in a Resource Center view?  Specifically, that resource field was already linked to a lookup table - or it was linked to your lookup table, but the Resources had already been set to specific values?

A couple of thoughts:

1) You created a custom task field sharing a name with a custom resource field.  What is the name of the field in question?

2) You somehow repurposed an existing lookup table.  Not sure how this would result in the observed symptoms, but it might cause something kind of similar.

Could you provide more information about the field in question and its purpose?  Thanks

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5270 (20100711) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

http://www.eset.com

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Monday, July 12, 2010 7:42 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

this Task field is named "Production Site" and there is no resource field whith the same name. This field uses a Lookup table but doesn't share this lookup table with any other field.

For a multi-site company, I want to say that this task will be caried out on this production site, this other task will be carried out on another production site...

I created an independant  Proposal with some resources and created a Resource Plan. In the Resource Plan view I was able to add this task field : "Production Site" and it displayed a value in front of each resource....

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:21 AM
  • Hi Rod,

Im' using PS 2007 + SP2 + Dec CU (on SQL Server 2000)

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:24 AM