none
Win 2003 R2 SP2 X64 problem installing .net upgrades and updates RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Win Server 2003 R2 SP2 X64. Recently it started informing about some updates to .net framework 2.0 and 4.0 which i had installed. Every attempt to install such updates failed and the system keeped asking to update. I researched and found a MS utility and instruction to clean up previous installations and reinstall first .net framework 1.1 then .net framework 1.1 SP1 then .net framework 3.5 SP1 (which should include .net 2.0) and at last .net framework 4.0.

I installed the 1.1 .net and .net 1.1 SP1 without problems (just had to run a command in start-run, as required by install program) ... then did not succeed to install any other .net. It always fails both with 3.5 and 4.0 ...

What can I do to fix this problema and leave my system updated and running correctly ?? If needed I can send any kind of log you may require ... just tell me how to find them.

Thanks for any help

Friday, June 15, 2012 12:21 AM

All replies

• Provide complete logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Friday, June 15, 2012 12:56 PM
  • Dear PVDG42 ... first of all thank you for the help !! I followed your instructions and below you can find a link to the vslogs.cab file.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B2FA9C297BF9EDF!140

Any other need just ask !!

Thanks again.

Saturday, June 16, 2012 5:53 AM
  • From the .NET Framework 4.0 log:

" INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.]
    [6/14/2012, 20:35:45]MSI (F:\66816ac61204b1b5caa7f2ce23d814\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed.  Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20120614_203057984-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    [6/14/2012, 20:35:45]PerformOperation returned 1603 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80070643)"

You have Windows Installer problems on your system.

I suggest you try installing the latest WI for your system:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483

You can also try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324516

Saturday, June 16, 2012 1:23 PM
  • PVDG42, first of all thank you for your support.

As you suggested I downloaded and installed Win Installer 4.5. I then rebooted the system. I checked and the win installer service is running. I also checked the version (msiexec /?) and I have 4.5 version running.

I then attempted to install .net Framework 3.5 and again got an error and did not succedd to install. I did not even try to install .net framework 4.0 ... MY system now seems not to have any .net framework correctly running, possibly not even the default 2.0 comng with win server 2003.

In case you need it, I collected a new log file, with the same procedure you required above, renamed it to vslogs2.cab, and it is available at the same public skydrive address above.

Thanks for any idea ... this thing is getting me mad !!

Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:41 PM
  • Hi lorenzopar,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I see that the error is still about Windows Installer on this log dd_NET_Framework20x64_Setup6599.txt at 6.17.

Also you've mentioned that your OS is x64 version. So please also refer to this artilce http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

When in safemode, please note for this:

Note For 64-bit operating systems, you also have to reregister the 64-bit MSI installer. To do this, click Start, click Run, type %windir%\Syswow64\Msiexec /regserver in the Open text box, and then click OK.

On 64-bit editions of the Windows operating system, 32-bit binaries are located in %systemroot%\SysWow64 folder. The 64-bit binaries are located in the %systemroot%\System32 folder

Maybe that will solve this problem.

The article is applied for Win Server 2003.

Please make sure you have followed the instructions listed there and show us your updates.

Thanks,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:08 AM
  • Dear Barry,

it seems I have a little problem to follow method 1 described at the page you suggested. I checked (by a search) and in my system I have 3 MSIEXEC.EX files. The first is in c:\windows\system32\, the second is in c:\windows\syswow64\ and the thirds is in c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB942288-v4$\ ... I also tried to run the first two (i disconsider the third which seems to be some uninstall leftover) with the /? option and both appear to be version 4.5 of Win Installer.

Which one should I consider in order to reregister ??

Or shall I folow the procedure of second method and reinstall the windows installer (ver. 4.5, file: WindowsServer2003-KB942288-v4-x64.exe, which I already have downloaded) ??

Thanks ...

Monday, June 18, 2012 1:22 PM
  • Hi lorenzopar,

Actually, both of them need to be registered. Which I mean is c:\windows\system32\ and c:\windows\syswow64\

The third one seems a installer for update, please ignore it.

If you are not confident with this, I suggest you try method 2 to re-install Windows Installer.

Although you have done this step, I guess you haven't tried to rename the corrupt folder or do something else, so please follow the steps on method two:

To reinstall the Windows Installer, rename the damaged Windows Installer files, and then reinstall the Windows Installer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open text box, and then click OK.
    2. Type cd %windir%\system32, and then press ENTER.
    3. Type attrib -r -s -h dllcache, and then press ENTER.
    4. Type ren msi.dll msi.old, and then press ENTER.
    5. Type ren msiexec.exe msiexec.old, and then press ENTER.
    6. Type ren msihnd.dll msihnd.old, and then press ENTER.
    7. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
    8. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
    9. Click Start, and then click Turn off computer or Shut Down.
    10. Select the Restart option, and then click OK, or click Restart.
    11. Log on to the computer.
    12. Download and install the latest version of the Windows Installer. For more information about how to obtain the Windows Installer, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
      893803  Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (3.1.4000.2435) is available
    13. Click Start, and then click Turn off computer or Shut Down.
    14. Select the Restart option, and then click OK, or click Restart.

After doing this, show me the results. If you have any questions, feel free to let us know.

Thanks,

Barry Wang [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:31 AM
  • Just a doubt ... shall I rename the files (msiexec.exe etc...) in the \syswow64 folder too ?? Or just those in the \system32 folder ??

Thanks

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:37 PM
  • Hi lorenzopar,

This action is only for system32 folder,  this folder was used for 64 bit software to run. Also, to modify system64 folder it was not listed by the article. So only do this to system32 folder.

For system64 folder, you need to register but not modify the folder.

I referred to both http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

and http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/07/20/673408.aspx .

Please try these steps and show me the results.

Thanks,

Barry Wang [MSFT]

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:42 AM
  • Ok will do this. Shall I install versione 3.5 of .net framework (which includes 2.0 and following updates), and then version 4.0 of .net ... or just the 4.0 version ?

Regards

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:23 AM
  • Sorry to intrude, but your .NET Framework needs are primarily driven by the software you plan to install.

There are *many* programs that require .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5, so I'd be inclined to install that because it's widely used. 4.0 is also frequently required for new program versions, so I'd install that as well.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:13 PM
  • thank you ... !! I'll do this ... later will post the results ...
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Hi lorenzopar,

How is your issue now?

Thanks,

Barry Wang [MSFT]

Monday, June 25, 2012 5:35 AM
  • Hi Barry, sorry for the delay. I have been travelling and just came back today. I just followed the instructions (rename the files, reboot, install .net... just in system32 folder). I attempted to install .net 3.5 first (should it work, I'd install 4.0 after). The result is the same ... got an error during the installation (as always) and aborted.

I'm wondering if the fact that another set of .net files exists in \syswow64 may have influenced the problem/error.

I'm now collecting a new log file, with the same procedure you required above, I'll rename it to vslogs3.cab, and let it available at the same public skydrive address above, within next 15 minutes.

It seems this problem is quite hard !! Anybody willing to attempt a remote (teamviewer) online session to check things ??

Thanks again

Lorenzo

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:05 AM
  • Hi lorenzopar,

Sorry for the late track, I'm trying to involve some experts here to help you.

Thanks,

Barry Wang [MSFT]

Friday, June 29, 2012 3:36 AM
  • Ok ... thank you !! I'll be travelling on next day july 03rd ... and will stay away one month. If we can solvi this before ok if not the server will survive without .not framework up to my return !! But the issue will stay open ... :-)

As already told, if anybody is willing to see the problem live I can open a teamviewer session ...

Regards

L.

Friday, June 29, 2012 10:12 AM
  • Hi,

Saw this error message in the logs:

Action start 07:54:54: SxsInstallCA.
    MSI (s) (08:30) [07:54:54:875]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 -- Error 1719.The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

Error 1719.The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

May be related to the MSI engine issue, Please try reinstall the msi engine from  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483

and Try the command

msiexec /unregister
    msiexec /regserver

Also, you could  visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs if you requires a more in-depth level of support.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone 

Regards

Friday, July 13, 2012 7:47 AM