Copy blobs from hot/warm to cold storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

Is it possible to copy/convert a page blob in hot/warm blob container without downloading and uploading?

We have a terabytes of SQL backups as page blobs and as they are hardly accessed want to 

put them into cheaper cold storage.

Below is the error I get when using "Azure Storage Explorer" to copy between these two container types. 

Page blob is not supported for this account type

Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:49 PM

All replies

• Could you confirm Storage account type, like LRS, GRS, RAGRS should be same for both the account which you trying to copy.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members

Sunday, April 15, 2018 8:25 PM
  • Hello, 

The source is: 

and the destination is: 

Thanks

Monday, April 16, 2018 8:52 AM
  • Tiered storage is not available for page blobs, you can apply it only to block blobs.

Details at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/blobs/storage-blob-storage-tiers

hth
    Marcin

Monday, April 16, 2018 10:47 AM
  • Hi, 

We can download these blobs as files and re-upload them to cool storage.  However we have terabytes of them and I'm hoping to do away with this download step, maybe something to convert in memory? 

Has anyone else had to do this? 

Thanks

Monday, April 16, 2018 1:29 PM
  • To move the page blob to cold blob, you need to first be converted to block blobs. Unfortunately, there’s no tool or easy way to do the conversion from page to block blob. You have to write custom scripts to do this.

• Proposed as answer by Sandeep BR Tuesday, April 24, 2018 1:24 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2018 5:39 PM
  • Hello, 

Checking in to see if the above answer helped your question. Let me know if there are still any additional issues I can help with.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 1:35 PM