none
How long HDInsight cluster start up

Question

• Hello, After I log in to HDInsight Service and click Go to cluster it's show "Waiting for your cluster to start up!" for 5 hours and not have response. Could you tell how long to take time for start this cluster ?
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:29 AM

All replies

• Are you referring to Hadoop on azure? If that's the case: It doesn't take more than 20-25 for me.

Paras Doshi (Blog: ParasDoshi.com | Twitter: @Paras_Doshi )

• Proposed as answer by Paras Doshi Sunday, January 6, 2013 5:28 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:11 AM
  • It seems that something went wrong during the deployment. To unblock yourself you can release the cluster and deploy again.

Thanks

aviade

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:22 PM
  • I encountered the same problem, seems hang for 10 hours
    Monday, November 26, 2012 3:16 PM
  • There are a few things that can cause this (most are quite uncommon) but make sure you've not set your cluster username to anything reserved, for instances "administrator".
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:02 AM
  • Hello, After I log in to HDInsight Service and click Go to cluster it's show "Waiting for your cluster to start up!" for 5 hours and not have response. Could you tell how long to take time for start this cluster ?

This happened to me on my HDInsight on windows 7.

I uninstalled and then installed it again. It works for me.

I decided to uninstall because under the "debug instalation" section, they specified it:

"Debug installation issues

If there is a problem with the installation, got to the Programs and Features page in the Control Panel and check for two items:
    - Microsoft HDInsight Community Technology Preview
    - Hortonworks Data Platform 1.0.1 Developer Preview

Uninstall these items and repeat the installation procedure. The order of uninstall is important. Uninstall the Microsoft HDInsight Community Technology Preview first, and then the Hortonworks Data Platform 1.0.1 Developer Preview."

- source: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14141.installing-the-developer-preview-of-hdinsight-services-on-windows.aspx#Debug

Though, I wish some other way to debug this, but for now - I solved this issue.

I hope it helps others who are reading this thread.

Sunday, January 6, 2013 5:28 AM

I also found a similar thread, I hope it helps people coming to this via search engines: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sv-SE/hdinsight/thread/81475d34-612c-46c1-b496-aadf332b57ed

Sunday, January 6, 2013 6:31 PM
  • It's likely that your cluster DNS name, while available, may not be allowed as an Azure hosted service name.  There are some odd requirements; and unfortunately we don't handle them correctly at the moment.  This is why you will see the deployment never complete.

Try a different name.  There are some obvious words that are not allowed, and some non obvious ('bid' for example).

This will be fixed in an upcoming release.

Thanks

Brad Sarsfield

Microsoft | HDInsight

Monday, January 7, 2013 5:29 PM