Best way of passing lists/arrays for cross-platform environments. RRS feed

• Question

• User1051163829 posted

Hi there,

I'm currently in the process of creating a library app to use inconjunction with websites. Note: NOT JUST ASP.NET SITES. I say this because i've made the dll available to COM and it works, I can reference it from VB6 and see the types/functions/enums etc...

My question though is this: I like using List<type> in c# and I know if this dll was only to be used with .net sites then there would be no issue but how would a List<type> be returned to a different environment. Can they recognize this? I can't really tell from VB6 (I don't like VB6... I only used it to test the COM accessibility). So, say a lowly PHP developer likes my dll and decides to use it since I *think* (never used PHP and never will) PHP can use reference the dll through a .tlb with COM? Could they deal with an enumerated list?

My dll won't return any HTML that just makes it lose it's flexibility in terms of styling and display.

So could PHP/other web developement environments understand a List<> type or is is .net specific? I think I understand that it's just an Ienumerable but they offer massive flexibility for returning lists of class types, not just strong types like string,int etc.

Many Thanks. 

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:45 AM

Answers

All replies