problem wit automatic failover RRS feed

• Question

• We got 2 64bit 2003 servers (sql 2005 nenterprise) as principal and mirror servers and one 2003 server (sql 2005 express) as witness. Last week when installing patches on the principal we faced problems that we did not have before.
    Lokking at sys.database_mirroring I've founf that 3 databases out of 44 does not have mirroring_witness_name. I've tried to reconfigure mirroring and got the following error when trieng to connect to mirror server:

'XXXXXXX\MWIT' is not a valid mirror server instance, which must be the Enterprise, Developer, or Standard edition of SQL Server.
    Is the a limit on number of databases that can be supported on express witness?
    Thanks

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:44 PM

All replies

• The principal and mirror instance should be enterprise , standard or developer , but the witness can be express instance . The error that you get seems like you are trying to configure express as mirror.
    Thanks, Leks
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:47 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm not trieng to configure the express as a witness. The miror is working fine for 41 databases. For a test I stoped mirroring for one database and start mirroring for one that is missing the witness and it worked fine, when I tried to restat mirroring on the one that I stooped it gave me the same error. Bottom line is that I can not start more then 41 mirrored databases on the express witness. Does anyone have multi database mirroring on more then 41 databases?
    Thanks, Moshe
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:45 AM
  • If your Principal and Mirrored instances are running on SQL Server Enterprise editions 64-bit, in theory you don't have any limitations on the number of databases, which can be mirrored, as per Microsoft.

Thanks,
    Friday, February 5, 2010 7:59 PM