none
Is Expression Web a good upgrade path from Frontpage? RRS feed

• Question

• I have used FrontPage for ad hoc web developments and would like to move to Expression Web.  To make the decision I need to have the answer to five questions.  Can anybody help me, please?  I will be running it under XP, at least for the present:

1. Is it possible to set up a map with hotspots so that a pointer rolling over it will display a pop-up box with data in it?
    2. Is it possible to present data in pop-ups rather than full pages? So that clicking on a link for a country would call a pop-up that displays data about that country.
    3. I would like to provide an enquirer with a set of drop down boxes so that they can select one or more values from each box and use the values selected to choose data values. Can this be done?
    4. I would also like to use https (secure) email addresses. Is this possible?
    5. FrontPage needed extensions on my host server: not a good idea now so does Expression load anything onto the server, or require anything to be loaded?

Monday, October 4, 2010 5:04 PM

All replies

• Questions 1,2,3 - yes.  All can be done.  Anything you see in the wild can be done.  Its your experience that will be the stumbling block.  Just read on on the technology first, before using the tool (read the Before Posting sticky thread) and you'll be fine.

Question 4 - No such thing as https email addresses.

Question 5 - Nothing for a plain vanilla site but if you choose to use ASP.NET your server will have to support it.

--
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Monday, October 4, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Download the free trial. It's fully-featured, runs for at least 60 days, and is the full program. The only difference is that it times out at the end of the trial. If you decide to buy, just plug in the activation code and that keeps it from timing out. No need to uninstall and reinstall a different copy.

Go through the tutorials listed in teh BEFORE POSTING thread at the top. By-expression.com's tutorial will give you a swell orientaton to EW (and CSS, etc.).

Silence is Golden. Duct tape is Silver.
    Monday, October 4, 2010 10:32 PM
  • As to question one, Do you mean something like goggle uses on its map application?  IIRC that is done with ajax and I believe EW supports AJAX as part of its ASP.NET framework but you would need some knowledge of AJAX and Server Side applications too.  Someone correct me if I am in error please.

HTH,

MIKE E

"It's like déjà vu all over again." — Yogi Berra
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:33 PM
  • Mike, depending upon how fancy the OP wants to get, #1 can be done with plain ol' HTML and the title attribute (which works with pretty much any displayable/hoverable element, not just images).

Fancier/larger/graphical versions, including his #2, can be accomplished with straightforward client-side javascript/jQuery/mootools, etc. No need for ASP.NET or server-side at all.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 5:11 PM
  • Thanks Scott,

I must have misunderstood.  Guess that is why you got 5 of them thingys and I only have one.  And I am not sure where I got that.  Apologies to the OP if I confused you.  Was not my intent.

Regards,

Mike E

"It's like déjà vu all over again." — Yogi Berra
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 10:32 PM
  • Heh, heh... no problem, Mike. BTW, you get one just for posting to the forum. Check back to around April or May of 2008 and my posts will have only one, too. ;-)

As for the popup, think instead "tooltip," the more common term for what he is describing. As is so often the case, Google is your friend. Google "html tooltip" and the first response describes the HTML title attribute. Google "javascript tooltip" and you get a blue bazillion choices of fancier versions made with javascript, jQuery, prototype, mootools, etc.

BTW, one of the reasons that those who have multiple medals have them is because we often do research and/or experiment in EW before answering questions. Medals reflect answers , not just posts.

I'll be the first to admit that I've learned a great deal in the last two and a half years about EW, and about a wide range of Web technologies, from doing research and performing experiments to be able to provide salient, accurate answers.

That is one of the reasons that I enjoy participating here; I learn a tremendous amount from my fellow contributors' posts (no small number of which are now enshrined in EverNote ;-) and from the investigation required to ensure that I am myself providing a correct answer to the questioner. It not only provides the new user with the information they need, but also enriches my own experience and knowledge of the field and of the product.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 2:31 AM