none
Robotic Simulation RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I am a Junior at WSUvancouver majoring in Electrical Engineering.

A group of us are trying to build a robot that has features similar to an EOD robot. My goal is to create virtual robot first.

I would like to see and control  A Virtual Robot all through the Microsoft Enviroment. I would like to know what steps I need to be take to accomplish my goals shown below.

Goals

1. Create Virtual Robot (with drive and more importantly an arm)
    2. Control Robot drive and arm movements (Maybe though Visual Basic form?)
    3. Get inputs from controller to change variables on computer
    4. Make Inputs Control Virtual Robot

Thank you in advance,

Vitaliy Gruntkovskiy

Sunday, January 8, 2012 6:32 AM

Answers

• 1. Please look at the Simulation Tutorials. There is a sample that builds a simple robot.

2. The Simple Dashboard that comes with RDS is designed to do what you want (control a differential drive and an arm). You do not need to write anything for testing purposes, although you will probably want to create your own Dashboard.

3. You don't say what type of controller, but there are services for generic joysticks and for the Xbox controller.

4. This is a combination of the above.

For the arm, you might want to look at the samples on http://promrds.codeplex.com

Trevor

Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:49 PM

All replies

• 1. Please look at the Simulation Tutorials. There is a sample that builds a simple robot.

2. The Simple Dashboard that comes with RDS is designed to do what you want (control a differential drive and an arm). You do not need to write anything for testing purposes, although you will probably want to create your own Dashboard.

3. You don't say what type of controller, but there are services for generic joysticks and for the Xbox controller.

4. This is a combination of the above.

For the arm, you might want to look at the samples on http://promrds.codeplex.com

Trevor

Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:49 PM
  • Trevor,

We are working on creating our own control system(thats why one was not stated), but as you mentioned using the built in servicies will help us start simulating inputs.

Thank you,

Vitaliy Gruntkovskiy

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 12:37 AM
  • hi there,

My team is up for a similar destination, i need to know if i am required to work in C# for a robotic simulation.?
    Pardon me if i sound stupid, but i dont know really..

Thanx in anticipation.
    Friday, March 2, 2012 8:04 AM
  • Currently C# is the only supported language for RDS. (Apart from VPL).

Trevor

Sunday, March 4, 2012 6:32 AM