none
OutLook 2010 Add-In suddenly crashing RRS feed

• Question

• I have been developing an OutLook Add-In for a month now, every test worked fine when I previewed the Add-In from Visual Studio 2012 until today. I have not made any code changes since yesterday when it was working last.

In the ThisAddIn_Startup method, all that I am doing is consuming a web service as a web reference.

The OutLook client starts the logo, then when it starts the processing it crashes.

No errors anywhere that I can find.

If I create a new project the same thing happens.

Can someone advise what I can do to get this working again or at least where I can look to see what is going on?

Friday, October 25, 2013 12:15 AM

Answers

• Hi niyack,

Thanks for posting on MSDN forum.

According to your description, the Outlook crashed when you start it.

I suggest you to start the Outlook in safe mode to see whether this issue is caused by add-in.
    If you can start the Outlook in safe mode, then you could disable all add-in and re-enable them one-by-one to see which add-in caused Outlook crashing.

If the issue caused by the custom add-in, then you could put a break point to find the root cause.

In the meantime, you could also update Outlook with the latest cumulative updates to see whether your issue would be resolved.

You can get more information from article below:

How to troubleshoot crashes in Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 25, 2013 9:54 AM
  • Hi niyack,

As far as I know there is no such option to reset the Outlook client. Howver you can try to repair Outlook to see whether this issue is resolved.

You can get more information from about Repair Office programs

I suggest you create a other type project to test whether you can consum the web service successfully.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 2:34 PM

All replies

• Hi niyack,

Thanks for posting on MSDN forum.

According to your description, the Outlook crashed when you start it.

I suggest you to start the Outlook in safe mode to see whether this issue is caused by add-in.
    If you can start the Outlook in safe mode, then you could disable all add-in and re-enable them one-by-one to see which add-in caused Outlook crashing.

If the issue caused by the custom add-in, then you could put a break point to find the root cause.

In the meantime, you could also update Outlook with the latest cumulative updates to see whether your issue would be resolved.

You can get more information from article below:

How to troubleshoot crashes in Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013

Best regards

Fei

Friday, October 25, 2013 9:54 AM
  • yes, I did the safe mode bit, I know it is the add in that is causing the crash.

the weird part is that this same add in works on another PC with no issues.

it seems that it only fails when I am consuming  web service, any web service.

Is there a way to reset the Outlook client (without a reinstall)?

Friday, October 25, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Hi niyack,

As far as I know there is no such option to reset the Outlook client. Howver you can try to repair Outlook to see whether this issue is resolved.

You can get more information from about Repair Office programs

I suggest you create a other type project to test whether you can consum the web service successfully.

Best regards

Fei

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 2:34 PM
  • Hi niyack,

Since we haven't heard from you for a long time, I temporarily close this case. I mark useful reply as answer. If you have any concerns, please free feel to reopen it or submit a new question.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Fei

Monday, November 11, 2013 12:58 AM