What are the best practices to automate the provisioning of an Azure Website with Drupal RRS feed

• Question

• We need a script that creates an Azure web site with Drupal using MySQL from scratch.

Should I use PowerShell with any particular libraries? Or should I use Chef or Puppet? Is Chef and Puppet really only intended for Azure Virtual Machines?

How much of the Drupal configuration can or should be automated on the Azure Web Site? Our experiments show that only read-only drush commands are available on Azure Web Site?

thanks,

Ray Pereda

Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Ray Pereda,

There seems to be a no way to do this with our Powershell cmdlets. You may use cmdlet to create a site and then use msdeploy to deploy a website to that site, but that doesn’t address the MySQL database.

I recommend you to continue with the management portal approach.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Friday, December 12, 2014 5:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To create a Drupal website using the management portal using MySQL :

• In the lower left corner click +NEW
    • Select COMPUTE->WEBSITE->FROM GALLERY
    • Acquia Drupal 7 should be at the top and selected, if it is not, Select CONTENTMGMT on the left then Acquia Drupal 7.  click the -> arrow in the lower right.
    • Enter the URL (name) of your web site. (note custom domains are available on the Shared and Reserved instances), Select a new or existing database, a region and a Subscription for your Drupal instance. Then click the -> arrow in the lower right.
      If you selected a new MySQL DB, be sure that you tick the box in the lower left corner for ClearDBs terms and conditions. Otherwise, enter the appropriate database information the click the Tick mark in the lower right.
    • Windows Azure will now provision your database and Acquia Drupal web site.  Once the dashboard shows the site is running, click the hyperlink on the right and go through the standard Drupal configuration process.

yes, Chef and Puppet extensions are for virtual Machines.

see  Best practices for Drupal might help.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:22 PM
  • Thanks Shirisha for the prompt and detailed answer!

One last explicit detail:

Can what you did in the portal be done using a PowerShell script or any kind of script? I want to stop searching for that type of solution and continue with management portal approach, if that is the case.

Many thanks!

Ray Pereda

Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:13 PM
  • Hi Ray Pereda,

There seems to be a no way to do this with our Powershell cmdlets. You may use cmdlet to create a site and then use msdeploy to deploy a website to that site, but that doesn’t address the MySQL database.

I recommend you to continue with the management portal approach.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Friday, December 12, 2014 5:26 PM