Cannot get Test Agent to register with Test Controller RRS feed

• Question

• I have no domain.

I have a Windows 7 test controller Hyper-V guest with VS2012 Ultimate and Test Controller installed.

I have a Windows 8 test agent machine, also the Hyper-V host, with VS2012 Premium and Test Agent installed.

I cannot get the Win8 Test agent machine to register with the Win7 Test Controller.

I believe firewall rules are correct; I've tried shutting down the firewall on both machines, no go. I've tried installing the opposing clients in order to get automated firewall rules for both controller and agent on the Hyper-V host, no go.

Having installed the opposing clients on each machine, each machine's Test Agent can register with a controller at localhost:6901 no problem.

I'm trying to use a common local test user, but it doesn't seem to work. Where all should this user be in play? Running the service (QTController.exe)? Connecting to the service?

last exception in log:

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Execution.IControllerAccessManager.get_ControllerVersion()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Execution.ExecutionUtilities.GetControllerVersion(IControllerAccessManager accessManager, Boolean tolerateOldControllers)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.ConfigCore.TestControllerHelper.CreateControllerObject(String controllerUri, NetworkCredential labServiceAccount)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.ConfigCore.TestControllerHelper.CreateControllerObject(String controllerUri, NetworkCredential labServiceAccount)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.ConfigCore.TestControllerHelper.GetControllerInformation(String controllerUri, NetworkCredential labServiceAccout)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.ConfigCore.AgentConfiguration.BindToController(String testController, ServiceAccount agentServiceAccount, NetworkCredential labServiceAccount)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.ConfigCore.AgentConfiguration.ChangeController(String newControllerUri, ServiceAccount newAccount, DelegateStatusUpdate statusListener, NetworkCredential labServiceAccount)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.ConfigCore.AgentConfiguration.ChangeControllerForAgent(AgentConfigurationUpdatePack updatePack, DelegateStatusUpdate statusListener)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.ConfigCore.AgentConfiguration.HandleControllerChange(AgentConfigurationUpdatePack updatePack, DelegateStatusUpdate statusListener)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.ConfigCore.AgentConfiguration.Configure(AgentConfigurationUpdatePack updatePack, DelegateStatusUpdate statusListener)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.AgentConfigUI.AgentConfigUI.ConfigureWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)
    I, 2013/04/02, 16:05:12.220, Work completed for GetConfiguration() call : got out of turn error
    E, 2013/04/02, 16:05:12.221, Failed to register this test agent with the test controller. Possible reasons could be you do not have permissions to connect to the test controller or a firewall is blocking the connection.
    To fix this problem, verify the test controller is running and you have appropriate permissions to register test agent with the test controller. Refer to this page for more details: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=212977&clcid=0x409

Microsoft Community Contributor MCTS: .NET 4.0 Service Communication Applications

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Please try the following steps to check the results:

1. Make sure the test controller is not registered with team project collection; and instead configure the test controller for load testing. You can do the configurations on the Configure Test Controller dialog.
    2. Make sure that Test Controller machine can pin Test Agent machine and vice versa.
    3. If your machines are in the same workgroup, please login with the same account on the two machines when you install and configure test controller and test agent.
    4. Make sure the test controller and test agents services are running. Go to Service->find the Visual Studio Test Agent and Controller service->configure the Status to be "Started".
    5. Run the VS2012 with Administration privilege.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Tuesday, April 9, 2013 9:44 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andy Badera Tuesday, April 9, 2013 9:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Badera Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:56 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 2:36 AM
  • Hello Amanda,

I apologize for my brusqueness but there's been a sad trend of premature closures and answer-marking on the part of MSFT staff for several years now, and it degrades the quality of the forums, and the experience one has in trying to use them.

As of five minutes ago, I can count my issue as resolved. I installed as the usual admin user, not the shared local user set up for testing, which turned out to be fine -- the key was logging in as the shared local user when registering the agent with the controller.

So:

No domain/removed from domain. Common workgroup.

Agent installed as usual local admin user.

Agent CONFIGURED/REGISTERED while logged in as shared local user.

Thank you for your assistance. These forums are excellent, I've relied on them for years, I just wish there wasn't pressure on support staff to mark answers and close issues.

Microsoft Community Contributor MCTS: .NET 4.0 Service Communication Applications

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:53 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

If the controller machine and test agent machine are not in domain, I assume that the computers in a rig are running in Work Group mode.

In this case, you need to create local computer accounts on the controller. The accounts should have a matching password for each user who will access the controller, including the Agent service users.

For example, you have three computers, Controller1, Agent1, and Agent2. You must create local computer accounts on each computer for the agent service user and controller user. You also must make sure an administrator account exists on all three computers with the same username and password.

For more information, please see Edwer’s reply in the following thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vststest/thread/82fa336e-30cb-4431-aafe-8b12fb59eb40/

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:57 AM
  • I had had the agent machine in a domain, and forgot. I removed it from the domain, rebooted, no change. Both machines are in 'WORKGROUP' now.

I'm using '\testuser' and 'Password123' as a local user on both machines and this user is in the Administrator group on both machines; QTController runs as this user on the Test Controller machine, I provide this user in the credential prompt when configuring the Test Agent that is attempting registration.

"I, 2013/04/03, 08:20:35.006, CreateControllerObject: attempt 0, System.Security.Authentication.InvalidCredentialException: The server has rejected the client credentials. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The logon attempt failed

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---"

• Edited by Andy Badera Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:26 PM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:26 PM
  • Hello,

Please try the following steps to check the results:

1. Make sure the test controller is not registered with team project collection; and instead configure the test controller for load testing. You can do the configurations on the Configure Test Controller dialog.
    2. Make sure that Test Controller machine can pin Test Agent machine and vice versa.
    3. If your machines are in the same workgroup, please login with the same account on the two machines when you install and configure test controller and test agent.
    4. Make sure the test controller and test agents services are running. Go to Service->find the Visual Studio Test Agent and Controller service->configure the Status to be "Started".
    5. Run the VS2012 with Administration privilege.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Tuesday, April 9, 2013 9:44 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andy Badera Tuesday, April 9, 2013 9:59 AM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 2:36 AM
  • Hello,

Since we haven't heard from you for a long time, I temporarily close this case. I mark useful reply as answer. If you have any concerns, please feel free to reopen it or submit a new question.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 9:44 AM
  • ARE YOU KIDDING ME? IT'S BEEN A MERE MATTER OF FOUR DAYS. IT REALLY TICKS ME OFF WHEN YOU PEOPLE MARK YOURSELF AS ANSWERS AND "close cases" JUST TO MARK OFF YOUR QUOTAS FOR YOUR BONUSES. GIVE A PERSON A CHANCE. WE ALL HAVE BUSY LIVES.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 9:59 AM
  • Hello AndrewBadera,

I am so sorry for that.

What about your issue now?

If the issue has not been resolved, would you mind telling us the latest news of the issue and the result of my suggestions? I will try my best to help you.

If it has been resolved, you can share your solution here, which will be also beneficial for other members with the similar issue.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:58 AM
  • Hello Amanda,

I apologize for my brusqueness but there's been a sad trend of premature closures and answer-marking on the part of MSFT staff for several years now, and it degrades the quality of the forums, and the experience one has in trying to use them.

As of five minutes ago, I can count my issue as resolved. I installed as the usual admin user, not the shared local user set up for testing, which turned out to be fine -- the key was logging in as the shared local user when registering the agent with the controller.

So:

No domain/removed from domain. Common workgroup.

Agent installed as usual local admin user.

Agent CONFIGURED/REGISTERED while logged in as shared local user.

Thank you for your assistance. These forums are excellent, I've relied on them for years, I just wish there wasn't pressure on support staff to mark answers and close issues.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:53 PM
  • Hello,

Glad to see this issue has been resolved and thank you for sharing your solutions & experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:23 AM