Error 18452 "Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication" on SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition 64-bit SP2 clustered instance RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi there,

• I have a Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise x64 SP2 cluster which has 2 SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition x64 SP2 instances.
    • A domain account "Domain\Login" is administrator on both physcial nodes and "sysadmin" on both SQL Server instances.
    • Currently both instances are running on same node.
    • While logging on to SQL Server instance 2 thru "Domain\Login" using "IP2,port2", I get error 18452 "Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication". This happened in the past as well but issue resolved post insatllation of SQL Server 2008R2 SP2. This has re-occurred now. But it connects using 'SQLVirtual2\Instance2' without issue.
    • Same login with same rights is able to access Instance 1 on both 'SQLVirtual1\Instance1' and "IP1,port1" without any issue.

Please help resolve the issue.

Thanks,

AY

• Edited by Ashutosh Yadav Wednesday, May 8, 2013 9:21 AM more precise info
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 7:55 AM

All replies

• Have you tried failing over the instance and attempting to connect on the secondary node? Are both instances using the same service accounts?

Is this consistent or sporadic?

I have seen this when a domain controller is down.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:35 AM
  • The service accounts for both the instances are exactly the same. And the issue occurs on both nodes on and off. It may happen at one point in time but not on other. Chances of Domain Controller being down are negated as the same works with 'SQLVirtual2\Instance2' but fails with 'IP2,port2' only. The same login works fine for  'SQLVirtual1\Instance1' and 'IP1,port1' both.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:32 AM
  • Hello,

I Confirm that I encountred the same problem when the first domain controller was dow !!

During a restarting of the first domain controller, i tried to failover my SQL Server instance to a second node, after that I will be able to authenticate SQL Server Login but Windows Login returns Error 18452 !

When the firts DC restart finishied restarting every thing was Ok !

The Question here : Why the cluster instance does'nt used the second DC ???

Best Regards     

J.K

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 9:45 AM