Central Admin HTTP 500 RRS feed

• Question

• I get an HTTP 500 Internal Server Error when I try to open Central Admin. It's running in IIS and my account on the server is in the Admin group under Server Manager. 

I've tried copying over a web.config file from a working Site Collection (Topic), but that didn't do anything. It's also recommended to take a look at the Application Log in the Event Viewer (Topic). I know how to get into the App Log in Event Viewer, but after that I'm lost. What am I looking for in there?

Once someone points me in the right direction for Event Viewer, I'll post what I find and go from there.

• Edited by TSlocum Friday, May 17, 2013 4:56 PM Why won't my bold text show up as bold?!
    Friday, May 17, 2013 3:34 PM

Answers

• Hi, to do this, you will need a SQLServer administrator login, or any account with a "set permission" permission.

Ask a DB Admin to grant your account the loggin, db-creator and securityadmin permissions.

If you are the one who installed the server, you can achieve this by using the account you set as the sql administrator during the installation.

Fabrice DG, Technical Solutions Professional, EMEA at AvePoint
    Follow my technical blog (french).

Please remember to click "Mark As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

• Proposed as answer by Hemendra Agrawal Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Qiao Wei Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:13 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

in your evend log, you can track any SharePoint related message.

In addition, you can check for your IIS Logs and the SharePoint Logs.

Try to cross your results based on a date-time basis. This error can have many causes, not necessarly due to SharePoint.

Please remember to click "Mark As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

Friday, May 17, 2013 3:46 PM
  • I don't know how to do that. I can get into the Event Viewer but after that I'm lost. What am I looking for?
    Friday, May 17, 2013 4:57 PM
  • Pretty simple, open your event viewer and then look through the events by event type (critical, then error, then warnings...) by filtering them on the "source" column to keep only those related to SharePoint. check for both the Windows logs and the application logs

the IIS Logs are located here by default : %SystemDrive%\inetpub\logs\LogFiles

the SP Logs are here by default : %CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\LOGS

Friday, May 17, 2013 5:16 PM
  • A vendor crashed our SharePoint server earlier this month, and I figure this is a result of that, so I narrowed the event logs down to that weekend. There are several things that come up.

SharePoint

Critical

SQL Database 'SharePoint_Config' on SQL Server instance 'AZO-V-SHAREPNT1\SSLF' not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

Cannot open database "SharePoint_Config" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'AZO\GPSSoft'.
    The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationRefreshJobDefinition (ID 85344368-7452-49d9-8f22-eae1c2c0ff19) threw an exception. More information is included below.

A transport-level error has occurred when sending the request to the server. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.)

Error

The user has forced the configuration of SharePoint Products to stop.  Configuration was stopped before configuring the finalization settings.
    Configuration of SharePoint Products failed.  Configuration must be performed in order for this product to operate properly.  To diagnose the problem, review the extended error information located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\LOGS\PSCDiagnostics_5_5_2013_2_39_59_4_314996561.log, fix the problem, and run this configuration wizard again.
    Unknown SQL Exception 233 occurred. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

A transport-level error has occurred when sending the request to the server. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.)

Warning

Alternate access mappings have not been configured.  Users or services are accessing the site http://azo-v-sharepnt1 with the URL http://localhost.  This may cause incorrect links to be stored or returned to users.  If this is expected, add the URL http://localhost as an AAM response URL.  For more information, see: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=114854"/>

IIS
    Error

The World Wide Web Publishing Service (WWW Service) did not register the URL prefix http://*:80/ for site 1. The necessary network binding may already be in use. The site has been disabled. The data field contains the error number.

Friday, May 17, 2013 5:35 PM
  • let's resolve the first critical : your user AZO\GPSSoft can't access the database. Check if this user has the login rigths on your database instance by connecting to it with SQL Server management studio.

Friday, May 17, 2013 5:39 PM
  • That was the vendor who crashed the SharePoint server. Their access to this stuff is something for the network admin to worry about.
    Friday, May 17, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Well, if you can provide the logs related to your credentials it would help :)

• Edited by Fabrice DG Friday, May 17, 2013 6:07 PM
    Friday, May 17, 2013 6:07 PM
  • What about the other errors? What's it matter who's credentials are used? Do different users see different errors or something?
    • Edited by TSlocum Friday, May 17, 2013 6:11 PM
    Friday, May 17, 2013 6:09 PM
  • If you can't access the config database, this will lead to a http 500 error.

When you're debugging SharePoint, you may resolve your errors in a logical order. So, first, ensure that you have access to the config database and then we'll see what happens.

The credential used matters a lots, so the associated permissions.

Friday, May 17, 2013 6:15 PM
  • Where do I find that out? On the SQL server? I have access to the SQL server.

I'm not the GPSSoft user if that's what you're thinking.

• Edited by TSlocum Friday, May 17, 2013 6:19 PM
    Friday, May 17, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Try to connect to your central administration then gather information in the logs.

Friday, May 17, 2013 6:25 PM
  • It doesn't look like any new logs are created
    Friday, May 17, 2013 6:34 PM
  • Neither in the IIS logs ?

can you connect to you databse directly in SQL Server ?

Friday, May 17, 2013 6:37 PM
  • Nothing new gets added into event viewer when I try to access Central Admin. Where do I find the DB in SQL Server Management Studio? There's an endless folder tree.
    • Edited by TSlocum Friday, May 17, 2013 7:07 PM
    Friday, May 17, 2013 6:54 PM
  • can you try to add  you account in the local Administrator group ?
    • Click Server Manager > Configuration Local Users and Groups.
    • Click Groups and then right click Administrators Properties.
    • In the Administrators Properties dialog, click Add and then add your account.

Friday, May 17, 2013 7:13 PM
  • As it's been mentioned here the service account (Though it may not be your account) AZO-V-SHAREPNT1\SSLF cannot connect to the Config DB due to permissions, I'd be logging onto the SQL Server and checking that the user has access to the database. 

in IIS , navigate to the Application Pools and select the Central Administration app pool, If that account is as listed above I'm almost certain you just need to add db permissions to that service account.

• Proposed as answer by James Di Blasi Sunday, May 19, 2013 12:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by TSlocum Monday, May 20, 2013 8:35 PM
    Sunday, May 19, 2013 12:35 AM
  • What am I looking for after I navigate to the Central Admin app pool?

Also, what database exactly am I looking for? I don't know where to go in the endless file tree in the SQL Server Management Studio.

• Edited by TSlocum Monday, May 20, 2013 12:36 PM
    Monday, May 20, 2013 12:35 PM
  • Anybody?

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Hi, sorry for this late answer.

The central administration relies on the SharePoint_Config database.

when you navigate in your central administration app pool parameters, you need to get the login used by this application pool to run and match it with the ones allowed to connect to the config DB.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:58 PM
  • I don't know what that means. I don't know what app pool parameters is. I don't know how to "get the login"

Please explain these things like I'm a small, stupid child.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:06 PM
  • I found the database, but when I try to click on it, I get the following error:

===================================

The database SharePoint_Config is not accessible. (ObjectExplorer)

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.DatabaseNavigableItem.get_CanGetChildren()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.NavigableItem.RequestChildren(IGetChildrenRequest request)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ExplorerHierarchyNode.BuildChildren(WaitHandle quitEvent)

If I try to go to the DB properties, I get the following error:

Cannot show requested dialog.

Cannot show requested dialog. (SqlMgmt)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.DefaultLaunchFormHostedControlAllocator.AllocateDialog(XmlDocument initializationXml, IServiceProvider dialogServiceProvider, CDataContainer dc)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.DefaultLaunchFormHostedControlAllocator.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.ILaunchFormHostedControlAllocator.CreateDialog(XmlDocument initializationXml, IServiceProvider dialogServiceProvider)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.LaunchForm.InitializeForm(XmlDocument doc, IServiceProvider provider, ISqlControlCollection control)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.LaunchForm..ctor(XmlDocument doc, IServiceProvider provider)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ToolMenuItemHelper.OnCreateAndShowForm(IServiceProvider sp, XmlDocument doc)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.RunningFormsTable.RunningFormsTableImpl.ThreadStarter.StartThread()

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.ExecuteNonQuery(String sqlCommand, ExecutionTypes executionType)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExecuteSql.ExecuteImmediate(String query)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExecuteSql.GetDataProvider(StringCollection query, Object con, StatementBuilder sb, RetriveMode rm)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.SqlObjectBase.FillData(ResultType resultType, StringCollection sql, Object connectionInfo, StatementBuilder sb)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.SqlObjectBase.FillDataWithUseFailure(SqlEnumResult sqlresult, ResultType resultType)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.SqlObjectBase.BuildResult(EnumResult result)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.SqlObjectBase.GetData(EnumResult erParent)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Environment.GetData()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Environment.GetData(Request req, Object ci)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Enumerator.GetData(Object connectionInfo, Request request)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExecutionManager.GetEnumeratorDataReader(Request req)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.SqlSmoObject.InitChildLevel(Urn levelFilter, ScriptingOptions so, Boolean forScripting)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.CreateDatabaseData.DatabasePrototype.LoadFilesAndFilegroups()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.CreateDatabaseData.DatabasePrototype.LoadDefinition(String newName)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.CreateDatabaseData.DatabasePrototype..ctor(CDataContainer context)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.DBPropSheet..ctor(CDataContainer context)

The server principal "AZO\Administrator48" is not able to access the database "SharePoint_Config" under the current security context. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.50.4000&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=916&LinkId=20476

Server Name: AZO-V-SHAREPNT1\SSLF
    Error Number: 916
    Severity: 14
    State: 1
    Line Number: 1

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionManager.ExecuteTSql(ExecuteTSqlAction action, Object execObject, DataSet fillDataSet, Boolean catchException)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.ExecuteNonQuery(String sqlCommand, ExecutionTypes executionType)

• Edited by TSlocum Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:28 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Hi, to do this, you will need a SQLServer administrator login, or any account with a "set permission" permission.

Ask a DB Admin to grant your account the loggin, db-creator and securityadmin permissions.

If you are the one who installed the server, you can achieve this by using the account you set as the sql administrator during the installation.

• Proposed as answer by Hemendra Agrawal Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Qiao Wei Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:13 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:02 PM
  • Would the account 'sa' have these permissions?
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:03 PM
  • I think so.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:09 PM