none
Stopping VM causes Saved State RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

On Server 2008 R2 when I stop a VM using the STOP button, the state of the VM is changed to 'Saved' rather than OFF.  I then cannot restart the VM or change any settings, attempting to do so results in an 'XYZ failed to change state'.  Operation cannot be performed while the object is in its current state.

THis results in having to log into all of the other VMS running on the machine, shut them down, rebooting the server, disabling the hyper-v service, deleting the currupt VM, recreating it, then restarting all of the other VMs again.

Does anyone know of a fix for this issue?

Thursday, April 8, 2010 12:48 AM

All replies

• *bump*

The repro for this (it occurs every time for me),  is to use the hyper-v console and click the stop button on a VM.

Alternate method on a stopped VM is to remove a network adaptor.   In both cases the VMs go into a saved-critical state and have to be deleted and re-created.

In several instances I have found that whatever has tried to update the xml settings file has written corrupt information  (spurious end tags  with half a field for example) into the file.  In most other instances the XML settings files are physically missing from the directory (but the snap-shot settings files seem to exist).

Friday, April 30, 2010 1:50 AM