Performance Counter Question: How to convert CounterDelta64 into percentage? RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to read % total time of Hyper-V using a C# application. But the NextValue() returned from performance counter ("hyperv","% total time", "_total")
    are all typed "CounterDelta64" and are some numbers (e.g. 1112345).

If I read "Processor % Total Time", it returns a percentage number and is just fine.

How do I translate these into percentages? Or did I do anything wrong?

Thanks a lot!!!
    Friday, April 4, 2008 10:54 PM

Answers

• As they're CounterDelta types (as in CounterDelta64 or CounterDelta32), you would need to have the previous values to translate these into a percentage, as CounterDelta types only return the "Change" in value of the particular item you're requesting. 

For instance:

The first value we receive is 4.

The second value we receive is 8.

This is a delta of 4 ( 8 - 4 = 4 ).

So, all that to say, the performance counters with the PerformanceCounterType of Delta simply represents a change in the value, and not the value itself, so you would need to have the previous value to translate into a percentage, and even then, it's only a percentage of change, and not a percentage of processor total usage.

Friday, April 4, 2008 11:07 PM
  • SKY.SKY,

In my opinion, the reply by David M Morton has pointed the clear definition of CounterDelta64 of Performance Counter. This is the "Change in a value but not the value itself". I would like to provide you the following example Implementing a Simple Performance Counter

Code Snippet

public PerformanceCounter CreateSimpleCounter(string counterName, string counterHelp,

System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterType counterType, string categoryName,

string categoryHelp)

{

CounterCreationDataCollection counterCollection =

new CounterCreationDataCollection();

// Create the custom counter object and add it to the collection of counters.

CounterCreationData counter = new CounterCreationData(counterName, counterHelp,

counterType);

counterCollection.Add(counter);

// Create category.

if (PerformanceCounterCategory.Exists(categoryName))

{

PerformanceCounterCategory.Delete(categoryName);

}

PerformanceCounterCategory appCategory =

PerformanceCounterCategory.Create(categoryName, categoryHelp,

PerformanceCounterCategoryType.SingleInstance, counterCollection);

// Create the counter and initialize it.

PerformanceCounter appCounter =

new PerformanceCounter(categoryName, counterName, false);

appCounter.RawValue = 0;

return (appCounter);

}

Hope that can provide you some idea.

Monday, April 7, 2008 7:54 AM

All replies

• As they're CounterDelta types (as in CounterDelta64 or CounterDelta32), you would need to have the previous values to translate these into a percentage, as CounterDelta types only return the "Change" in value of the particular item you're requesting. 

For instance:

The first value we receive is 4.

The second value we receive is 8.

This is a delta of 4 ( 8 - 4 = 4 ).

So, all that to say, the performance counters with the PerformanceCounterType of Delta simply represents a change in the value, and not the value itself, so you would need to have the previous value to translate into a percentage, and even then, it's only a percentage of change, and not a percentage of processor total usage.

Friday, April 4, 2008 11:07 PM
  • Thanks for replying.

I understand it's a delta. My questions remains:

first of all, this "% total run time" counter returns a delta64, how do I trans late it into real percentage % of total time?

secondly, is it a microsoft bug?

It's strange, but in MS perfmon, it shows percentage in the chart (if added this exact same performance counter).

Friday, April 4, 2008 11:12 PM
  • SKY.SKY,

In my opinion, the reply by David M Morton has pointed the clear definition of CounterDelta64 of Performance Counter. This is the "Change in a value but not the value itself". I would like to provide you the following example Implementing a Simple Performance Counter

Code Snippet

public PerformanceCounter CreateSimpleCounter(string counterName, string counterHelp,

System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterType counterType, string categoryName,

string categoryHelp)

{

CounterCreationDataCollection counterCollection =

new CounterCreationDataCollection();

// Create the custom counter object and add it to the collection of counters.

CounterCreationData counter = new CounterCreationData(counterName, counterHelp,

counterType);

counterCollection.Add(counter);

// Create category.

if (PerformanceCounterCategory.Exists(categoryName))

{

PerformanceCounterCategory.Delete(categoryName);

}

PerformanceCounterCategory appCategory =

PerformanceCounterCategory.Create(categoryName, categoryHelp,

PerformanceCounterCategoryType.SingleInstance, counterCollection);

// Create the counter and initialize it.

PerformanceCounter appCounter =

new PerformanceCounter(categoryName, counterName, false);

appCounter.RawValue = 0;

return (appCounter);

}

Hope that can provide you some idea.

Monday, April 7, 2008 7:54 AM