none
License to create an Office type ribbon in my app RRS feed

Answers

• Hi DavidThi808,

you had mentioned that,"To confirm, you sent a query to Microsoft legal and they told you there is presently no license agreement? "

This forum support for development issues.

if you have question regarding licensing then there is a specific forum is available for that.

Volume Licensing Service Center support

we are not connected with this support forum in anyway.

I will try to ask senior engineers if they have any other link for licensing forum.

if I get that then I will try to provide you that link.

from my side I can only say that there is no new version is available for this feature and it is not covered by our forum support.

our scope is specific to Office object model , Office automation using VBA, VSTO C# and VSTO VB. we provide Ribbon related support but it is only for Office Applications (no any other application) which is only used by Office Applications.

we also don't have any information regarding licensing for this feature.

if you have any further question then you can ask me.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Friday, May 19, 2017 9:26 PM
    Friday, May 19, 2017 3:34 AM

All replies

• Hi DavidThi808,

your description is not clear.

I think that you are trying to create Ribbon in Word using VSTO.

you had mentioned that,"Microsoft used to have a license to create a ribbon in my own application. It disallowed it in any competing product. But that's all gone now."

which kind of application you own? which are competing product ?

and what's gone now?

I am not sure what you want to describe here.

if possible then try to post the screen shot and post a steps to reproduce the issue.

it will help us to understand the issue better. I also recommend you to post the detailed description about your issue.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:12 AM
  • Hi Deepak;

No, the question is creating the ribbon look & feel in our application. Doing this is described in this msdn blog. However the link to the licensing program is now a "retired page" with no link to a newer page.

So where is the present license for copying the ribbon?

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 2:14 PM
  • Hi DavidThi808,

I try to find latest documentation regarding licensing the Ribbon.

but I did not get anything useful.

it looks like Microsoft has discontinued this feature and now it is no longer available to use with latest versions.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:17 AM
  • Hi Deepak;

Saying it's discontinued makes no sense. This isn't a program, this is intellectual property that others are implementing. And many programs are duplicating the ribbon.

Can you please ask what limitations there are, if any, on products that implement their own ribbon?

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 12:25 PM
  • Hi DavidThi808,

First of all I want to inform you that this issue is not related with Office development.

because on this forum we only support the issue related with Office automation.

this issue does not fall in Office development. so it is out of our scope.

here no one have information regarding this feature.

the links provided by you is old and I try to find new latest links but no links are available regarding this feature.

I agree that other developers are developing ribbons but it is possible that they are using the old version.

and if new version available then Microsoft provide a documentation for that.

but there is no any new documentation is available which means there is no new version available.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, May 18, 2017 9:21 AM
  • Hi Deepak; Is this the official answer from Microsoft's legal team - that there is presently no license agreement for using the Office ribbon IP? To confirm, you sent a query to Microsoft legal and they told you there is presently no license agreement? thanks - dave

Thursday, May 18, 2017 10:35 AM
  • Hi DavidThi808,

you had mentioned that,"To confirm, you sent a query to Microsoft legal and they told you there is presently no license agreement? "

This forum support for development issues.

if you have question regarding licensing then there is a specific forum is available for that.

Volume Licensing Service Center support

we are not connected with this support forum in anyway.

I will try to ask senior engineers if they have any other link for licensing forum.

if I get that then I will try to provide you that link.

from my side I can only say that there is no new version is available for this feature and it is not covered by our forum support.

our scope is specific to Office object model , Office automation using VBA, VSTO C# and VSTO VB. we provide Ribbon related support but it is only for Office Applications (no any other application) which is only used by Office Applications.

we also don't have any information regarding licensing for this feature.

if you have any further question then you can ask me.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Friday, May 19, 2017 9:26 PM
    Friday, May 19, 2017 3:34 AM