Do not track certain activities RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody I use WFM (workflow manager) as app server of my applications; after huge work I'm now able to add tracking participants and profiles to keep track of wf execution. Now I have a couple of problem...
    First of all is the tracking participant configuration and in particular the ActivityStateQuery.ActivityName: for what I understand the ActivityName is the "string" that wf designers assign in the title of the activity and not the real name (or type) of the activity. This is a problem because my application is (also) a rehosted designer used by our customers, and so I do not know the name that designers assign to the activity.

If I use "*" as ActivityName I receive too much trace because WFM needs translated wf and translated wf add (let me say) expression activities that designer users do not understand. For example a customer wf write 9300 trace row for a single execution and I configure the participant to write only "Closed" state activities while the "real" activities are about the half.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Thursday, July 7, 2016 1:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Simone,

Please choose the tracing type according to your requirement:

Tracking Records

Describes the tracking records that the workflow runtime emits.

Tracking Profiles

Discusses how tracking profiles are used.

Tracking Participants

Describes how to use system-provided tracking participant or how to create custom tracking participants.

Configuring Tracking for a Workflow

Describes how to configure tracking for a workflow.

Workflow Tracing

Describes the two ways to enable debug tracing for a workflow.

Determining Workflow Execution Duration Using Tracing

Describes how to use tracing messages to determine workflow execution duration.

Regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, August 8, 2016 8:04 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Simone Cherici Monday, August 8, 2016 8:06 AM
    Friday, July 8, 2016 2:08 AM
  • Hello Angie and thank you for your response but my problem is a little different. I've already setup tracking profiles (I think) quite good. In particular I track:

• CustomTrackingQuery (for all Name and all ActivityName
    • WorkflowInstanceQuery for started state
    • another WorkflowInstanceQuery for Completed and errors states
    • ActivityStateQuery for Closed, Canceled an faulted states

My problem is exactly in the ActivityStateQuery because I don't want to track all ActivityName (*) but I do not know in advance the name of the activities because wf are designed "outside" by customers and then "uploaded" in the app server. Moreover WFM documentation says "Any expressions in the workflows are translated into expression activities before the workflow is uploaded to Workflow Manager." It means that (for example) when a wf author add an assign activity to make this wf available for WFM I have to "translate" the assign activity and the result are three activity instead of one so tracking records are multiplied and become useless because authors do not recognise those "new" activities".

The best solution would be to have the ability to deny some activity names AND to use wildcard in activity name but I have a look at the classes that "read" the tracking profiles and I see that this is impossible so I wander if there are other solutions that I don't know...

Friday, July 8, 2016 7:39 AM
  • Hi Simone,

From the many possibilities, it allows us to track a workflow’s inner activities.

Reference: Tracking vs. Tracing in the Windows Workflow Foundation (WF4)

Regards,

Angie

Note:

The hyperlink above is third party, Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk

before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, August 8, 2016 8:04 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Simone Cherici Monday, August 8, 2016 8:05 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2016 9:21 AM