WES Startup sequence events RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm going to try my best to explain my situation.  I have a Windows Embedded Standard 7 deployment released right now which boots up and runs fine.  I just want to tweak the startup sequence of events, if possible.

We've written all the software that runs at startup from the services to the explorer shell replacement.

I have 2 videos for you to watch.

1) Explorer embedded start up for our device (Admin access only): http://youtu.be/Ge4otXvOUvY

As you can see, I have to halt the auto login and enter the Admin user and password manually to login to the Admin account where explorer runs.  What I want you to take notice here after I begin login, is the full screen black-to-blue background with the typical Windows loading spinner running (This is Windows loading, not any of my software).  This spinner and background stays on the screen until Explorer is loaded and is ready to be displayed to the user.  There is no time where the user thinks something isn't happening.

2) Normal embedded start up for our device: http://youtu.be/4nL0uuXuqYo

As you can see, upon starting up, and our standard user automatic login, Winlogon displays a full screen black-to-blue background with the typical loading spinner running.  After some time, this fades out and displays the users desktop background color of red.  At this moment in time our explorer shell replacement is still loading and is not yet visible to the user, so the user keeps seeing the red screen for some time while it loads, then without warning our explorer shell replacement is loaded and is displayed on screen to notify the user the system is starting/doing something.

So my question is: Is there some events that our explorer shell replacement can hook onto and also trigger and event to Winlogon when the application knows its loaded and visible and the full screen loading spinner will fade out and you'll immediately see our explorer shell replacement INSTEAD of now where it's a red background for some time?

I've found an article explaining a little about how you can change the sequence of applications that run found here but I haven't given it a try yet.  I wanted to get community feedback first.

Let me know if you need any more clarifications on this.

Thanks.

• Edited by ScottN79 Sunday, February 1, 2015 8:32 PM Links
    Sunday, February 1, 2015 8:31 PM

Answers

• You can enable wallpaper with a custom shell. There was a post some time ago on the forum and it is in Chapter 7 of my book:

Copy the wallpaper image file to a convenient folder in the file system. Example c:\users\test\Documents\myimage.bmp.

Use Reg.exe to set up the registry:

REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v Wallpaper /d C:\users\test\Documents\myimage.bmp

Finally call user32.dll:

rundll32 user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters

You make the call to user32.dll on startup each and every time.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Marked as answer by Sean LimingMVP Tuesday, December 6, 2016 3:39 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2015 6:21 PM

All replies

• 1. Is Red your desktop back ground? Would it be possible to create a background that has a message like system loading?

2. Just for clarification, what is the boot media and processor type?

3. As far as adding to the registry key, it is a matter of trying it and seeing what happens.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Monday, February 2, 2015 3:51 AM
  • 1) Red is the desktop background color.  As far as I know, since explorer shell is replaced, I cannot do images as the background and only solid colors because explorer is not loaded.  I believe explorer handles applying background images, slideshow stuff.  Right?

2) 5400 RPM 2.5" hard drive.  Intel Atom 525 processor.

3) That could be, but I have a strong suspicion that the Windows explorer.exe communicates to Winlogon to let it know: OK, I'm done loading, fade out and show me.  Know what I mean?

Monday, February 2, 2015 5:57 PM
  • You can enable wallpaper with a custom shell. There was a post some time ago on the forum and it is in Chapter 7 of my book:

Copy the wallpaper image file to a convenient folder in the file system. Example c:\users\test\Documents\myimage.bmp.

Use Reg.exe to set up the registry:

REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v Wallpaper /d C:\users\test\Documents\myimage.bmp

Finally call user32.dll:

rundll32 user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters

You make the call to user32.dll on startup each and every time.

Monday, February 2, 2015 6:21 PM
  • Does it have to be BMP and do I have to have a version for every possible supported resolution to avoid stretching?
    Monday, February 2, 2015 6:34 PM
  • It can be JPG too. BMP was just an example.

• Unmarked as answer by Sean LimingMVP Tuesday, December 6, 2016 3:39 PM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 12:30 AM