require permission from system

Question

• hello, everytime i try to delete my "windows old" folder it gives me a "folder access denied, you require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this folder" and my only options are to try again or cancel. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks you :)
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:03 PM

Answers

• The easiest way to get rid of the windows.old folder is to run the "Disk Cleanup" wizard.  It is possible (but onerous) to remove the windows.old folder by taking ownership of the files and then granting yourself delete permission, but the recommended approach is to use the Disk Cleanup wizard instead.
    Matthew van Eerde
    • Marked as answer by cp0020 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:45 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:22 PM

All replies

• The easiest way to get rid of the windows.old folder is to run the "Disk Cleanup" wizard.  It is possible (but onerous) to remove the windows.old folder by taking ownership of the files and then granting yourself delete permission, but the recommended approach is to use the Disk Cleanup wizard instead.
    Matthew van Eerde
    • Marked as answer by cp0020 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:45 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:22 PM
  • it didnt work :( ran the disk cleanup and i was only able to delete cache and other temporary files. but no windows.old :( its taking up 24gigs thats why i want to delete it.

edit... it didnt give me the option but after going ahead and checking everything and clearing it it deleted it :) it said i would only gain 38mb but whatever. it worked! thank you very much :)

• Edited by cp0020 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:30 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:27 PM