Silverlight Standalone application RRS feed

• Question

•  is there a way to creat an standalone application or something so i can show my silverlight application woithout visual studio ?

Sunday, September 28, 2008 10:38 PM

Answers

• If you want to use WPF, then forget about Silverlight. They're two different technologies. Instead, create a new WPF project in Visual Studio or Expression Blend. Please begin from http://windowsclient.net/getstarted.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 12:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Turrican82,

Silverlight applications are designed to run within a web page. You do not need Visual Studio to show your Silverlight application. The role of Visual Studio is to help you develop Silverlight applications. I'm not sure if this is what you are asking for or not.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 10:52 PM
  •  yes i think thats it it wrote an application for shool and our prof. want to get a have a short docu about the project with installation instruction and i have no idea what he want with that...

bad question but how can i host it ? if i have compiled the porjekt ei can see the layout on the example.html but the functions doesnt work, how can i run the complet projekt ?

Sunday, September 28, 2008 11:32 PM
  • As long as you have the HTML test page and put your SL application (the .xap file) in the same relative path (e.g. in a folder you have YourAppsTestPage.html and ClientBin\YourApp.xap), you can open the HTML page on any computer with the Silverlight runtime installed.  You chould also put it up on any web hosting you might have.

Monday, September 29, 2008 12:19 AM
  •  I have 2 Folder  ProjectName and ProjectNameWeb both created with and by visual studio

the soruce code app and page are in the ProjectName  Folder the Testpage with subfolders etc is in the Web Folder with an Folder ClientBin\Debug\ProjectName.xap

if i open the TestPage in my Browser only the Layout  works, button implementation witch switch some panels too, but i have implemented a webclient search witch adds pictures from a server and that doesnt work ( in vs it works fine )

is there a special way to use the silverlight runtime ?

Monday, September 29, 2008 6:27 AM
  • Hi,

The aim of the silverlight application is for web based programming (SmartClient) .
    For stand alone you have to go for WPF fom applciations. that will be the better options.

Monday, September 29, 2008 3:27 PM
  • what does WPF mean ?

i dont know how to set it up without visual studio is there a tutorial or could someone explain how ? didnt find anything about that

Monday, September 29, 2008 6:02 PM
  • Hello, if your school has a web server, such as an IIS server (either for internal or external use), you can create a web site on the server, and host your Silverlight application in one web page. You simply need to give the link to the web page to your professor. If he prefers, he can create a shortcut on his desktop which points to the web page, or add the page to his browser's favorite. If you don't have a web server, then you can't deploy your Silverlight application. You can of course choose WPF, which means Windows Presentation Foundation. It's a framework for you to create desktop applications that runs on Windows, similar to Word, Excel, etc. By using WPF, your professor will have to use Windows operating system, and must have .NET 3.0 or higher. If he doesn't want to install .NET 3.0, but is willing to install .NET 2.0, you can use Windows Forms, which is more suitable to create business applications that used to display database information, but won't allow you to build rich interactive applications so easily. If he even refuses to install .NET 2.0, you'll have to use Win32 or MFC, which will take you a lot of work to create an appliction. If he wants to use the application on Mac or Linux, I'm afraid Microsoft solutions won't help you... Anyway, to deploy a WPF application, you simply copy the exe file together with other related files (if any) to the professor's computer. For more information, please refer to http://windowsclient.net/getstarted/.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:22 AM
  •  thnx a lot Yi-Lun Luo i will try that, but witch exe do you mean ? dont have any, and in the sample projects i loaded aren't any too, do i habe to compile them ? and if yes how ?

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:55 AM
  • If you're creating a WPF application, you'll find a generated exe file under the bin folder after you build your project successfully.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:48 PM
  •  i installed WPF compiled the sample and it worked fine, but i dont know how i can compile my own porject, if i understand the readme i have to add the assemblys to my silverlight project ? but i always get an error that only silverlight assameblys could be add to this project ?

could you tell me how to compile it with wpf ?

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 12:22 AM
  • If you want to use WPF, then forget about Silverlight. They're two different technologies. Instead, create a new WPF project in Visual Studio or Expression Blend. Please begin from http://windowsclient.net/getstarted.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 12:33 AM