missing files for reseting windows 8 developer preview?

Question

• when i tried resting my computer from the control panel>general>reset. it said "missing files. the media will provide them"
    where can i find/download/or get these missing files?Thanks much
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:02 PM

Answers

• I didn't install from a disk, I installed from a folder on a secondary drive.

I there a way to point the 'refresh' feature to the relevant folder.

I think this folder, once initiated, will let you Refresh/Reset, when Repair, instead of Install option is chosen, just as it let you install WDP. Please give it a try.

Irfan
    Friday, December 23, 2011 1:13 AM

All replies

• CR7DEVIL,

You can download the Windows Developer Preview from the following site: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

Thanks,

Chris
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:18 PM
  • i already have windows 8 developer preview i just want to reset it and set back to when i first installed it. thanks anyways

Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Yes, I would like to do this too.

I seem to have messed up my installation somehow and now some programs and apps will not start. Hearing about the vaunted 'refresh' feature I attempted it but it just asks for the install disk. I didn't install from a disk, I installed from a folder on a secondary drive.

Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:37 PM
  • well if you find a way to do it could you just message me or tell me. thanks much
    CR7DEVIL
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:48 PM
  • How to set a refresh point from command prompt:
    You can run “recimg.exe -CreateImage C:\RecoveryImage” from an elevated command prompt. It will store the image under C:\RecoveryImage (or wherever you specify)

Both the Refresh and Reset functionalities rely on PC makers preloading a recovery image on the drive. For the Windows Developer Preview, installation media is needed to perform Refresh and Reset (unless you use the command line tool to create your own Refresh image)

You will need to create the destination folder before running the tool.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    • Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Friday, December 23, 2011 1:05 AM
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 8:53 PM
  • well see i tried running it a couple of times but when its starting to open it just flashes the screen and then goes away without any trace.
    CR7DEVIL
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:38 PM
  • I didn't install from a disk, I installed from a folder on a secondary drive.

I think this folder, once initiated, will let you Refresh/Reset, when Repair, instead of Install option is chosen, just as it let you install WDP. Please give it a try.

Irfan
    Friday, December 23, 2011 1:13 AM
  • You have to insert the usb\Dvd with which you have installed the windows developer preview in order for the PC refresh to work because that is the source for recovering system's default settings and apps.Hope this helps.
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 8:46 PM
  • You have to insert the usb\Dvd with which you have installed the windows developer preview in order for the PC refresh to work because that is the source for recovering system's default settings and apps.Hope this helps.

Hi Rizwan 9180,

CR7DEVIL installed WDP from a folder on another drive, he has not created a disk or a USB.

Irfan
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 1:05 AM
  • Oops....... thank you for telling irfanfare....... i would try to find a solution for his problem..........but.. can you also take a look at my thread ..please?

it is http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/samsungpcgeneral/thread/9ad727de-9e2b-4630-96eb-669de8ce6e17

• Edited by Rizwan 9180 Sunday, December 25, 2011 5:08 PM
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 2:39 PM