Can I attach a project collection from a TFS 2010 into a TFS 2010 SP1? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I'm taking over the administration of an existing TFS2010. They had a previous implementation of TFS 2010 and only backed up the project collections databases, now they want me to attach them into this new TFS 2010 that I'm administering. I restored the different project collections databases successfully from the .bak files and I'm able to see them in the same database server. They look OK but when I'm trying to attach them (using the TFS 2010 console) to the TFS server they don't show up in the Attahc Collection Wizard.

Why is this? Is it because they needed to deattach them from the original TFS server? If that's the case, is there another way to deattach project collections? Do I need to recover the whole previous TFS server (I may have access to configuration db backup) in order to properly deattach the collection so this could be accesible?

Help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MG

Friday, December 16, 2011 6:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, the project collection must be previously detached before it can be attached another instance of TFS.  The primary reason is the detach process pulls in the configuration information that is normally stored int he configuration database.  I have not found any way to attach this without like you said recovering the previous TFS server, then do a detach, and then you will be able to attach it.  If you are going to do the restore and recreate TFS, I would apply SP1 on that before detaching to be safe. 

There is a recover command that seems like it could help but I would recommend contacting Microsoft or trying it on a test server.  I didn't try to use it on my TFS server because I didn't want to cause any problems on my existing TPCs.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff407077.aspx

I hope this helps,

Mike

blog - http://www.codesmartnothard.com
    Friday, December 16, 2011 9:57 PM