How to call the 'appbar'? Is there a terminology list? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm writing a help text for my app and I was wondering what the 'appbar' should be called in a help text.

Now my questions are:

• Is there a terminology list available in each Windows supported language?
    • And where to find those lists?

I'm most interested in English, German, Spanisch, Dutch and French terminology lists.

Here a list of some exaple words from which I want to know how they should be called:

• AppBar
    • Charms
    • App
    • Contracts
    • Tap
    • Swipe
    • Snap
    • and so on

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 12:25 PM

Answers

• You can look in the documentation for terminology used with specific classes. For example, if you look at the AppBar documentation you'll find "Use app bars to present navigation...".

The Language Portal has a definition for "app bar". For example in French it is:

English Translation Definition
    app bar barre de l’application The surface that appears along the bottom edge of the screen and includes
    app commands.
    • Marked as answer by DennisBakker71 Tuesday, December 31, 2013 5:34 PM
    Tuesday, December 31, 2013 5:31 PM

All replies

• Check out the Microsoft Language Portal.
    Tuesday, December 31, 2013 4:22 PM
  • This helps a lot, thanks. But the reason that I searched for a terminology list was the word 'appbar'. This word is not used in English according to the terminology search. App developers call it 'appbar', but what is the real-world word for it?
    Tuesday, December 31, 2013 5:00 PM
  • It refers to a 'Bar' within an 'app' so think of a metal bar that you bring in to your view with a lot of switches on it its just like that but rather than it being in your view its in an 'app'!

-- djSupport

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 5:05 PM
  • the word appbar isn't an english word but its just put two and two together to make it understandable rather like slang words you use locally. Rather like the new word "Selfie"

-- djSupport

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 5:14 PM
  • Ok, that I allready knew. But wat I don't know is how I should call it in the help section of my app...

Like the bar what appears at the right when you swipe from the edge is called 'Charms'. How do you call de bar what appears with a swipe from the top/bottom (the official MS terminology)?

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 5:23 PM
  • You can look in the documentation for terminology used with specific classes. For example, if you look at the AppBar documentation you'll find "Use app bars to present navigation...".

The Language Portal has a definition for "app bar". For example in French it is:

English Translation Definition
    app bar barre de l’application The surface that appears along the bottom edge of the screen and includes
    app commands.
    • Marked as answer by DennisBakker71 Tuesday, December 31, 2013 5:34 PM
    Tuesday, December 31, 2013 5:31 PM
  • My mistake. I search "appbar" in stead of "app bar"
    Tuesday, December 31, 2013 5:35 PM