locked
latest (2012.10.11) updates made a mess of my DS. RRS feed

  • General discussion

  • Nuts, just when I don't need it. Now I will have to go rebuild my DS all over again -.-

    The given key was not present in the directory.

    -----

    C:\Windows\System32\msxml6.dll     Microsoft Corporation     6.30.7601.17857     x86
    CLSID does not exist: {9F543912-5F3E-4230-AC46-3FD0B933F591}

    15:51 : 
    15:51 : 
    15:51 : Windows Embedded Standard 7 - Image Configuration Editor execution failed.
    15:51 : 
    15:51 : System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
       at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
       at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
       at System.Collections.ObjectModel.KeyedCollection`2.get_Item(TKey key)
       at Microsoft.Embedded.ComponentPlatformInterface.DistributionShare.FindPackagesByType(PackageReleaseType type)
       at Microsoft.Embedded.MainForm.OnValidateAddApplicableUpdates()


    =^x^=

    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:54 AM

All replies

  • Always back up the DS.

    -Sean


    www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:01 PM
  • WEDU needs to warn you it might do something wonderful.

    The only thing broken seems to be the "applicable updates" thing, everything else works fine. Implying one of the updates is wonky...

    It needs to work twice today, then I can look at fixing it...

    importpackages /rebuildindex didn't help -.-


    =^x^=


    • Edited by P 'Bunny' E Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:59 AM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:19 AM
  • The offending update(s) appear to be

    "Update for Windows Embedded Standard 7  (KB2721923)" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2721923)

    "Update for Windows Embedded Standard 7  (KB2732500)" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2732500)

    "Update for Windows Embedded Standard 7  (KB2732487)" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2732487)

    The remainder of the 16 that came down from 10/4 to now were all OK.

    It messed mine up too and I had to rebuild from a backup and install the updates one at a time until I figured out what was breaking things.

    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:46 PM
  • I re-installed everything. (And discovered that my disk is as sick as a parrot in the process.)

    there were no errors installing all (except languages) the patches with WEDU for either SP1 or SP1x64.

    The log has a happy tick sign for kb2732500.

    (also 2656373,2667402,2705219,2722913,2731847)

    ICE, however, thinks different:

    "Package not found in distribution share: amd64~package_for_kb2732500~~~~6.1.1.0~1.0"

    Which is exactly the same list of problems as last time.

    Rebuilding the index won't fix this.

    However, there _is_ an 

    amd64_package_for_kb2732500~~~~6.1.2.0~1.0"

    now.

    Sneaky updates to already released packages?

    • Edited by P 'Bunny' E Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:10 AM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:15 AM
  • Hi All,<o:p></o:p>

    I am able Resolve the above issue without reinstalling the complete DS <o:p></o:p>

    Here is the Cause:<o:p></o:p>

    The KB 2732487 is released by MS as hot fix and then in subsequent month same KB version 2 is released as Security update, which is internally causing a
    dependency error <o:p></o:p>

    Here is the solution:<o:p></o:p>

    Remove the KB 2732487 from hotfix and rebuild the DS index using <o:p></o:p>

    ImportPackage /RebuildIndex “<DS PATH>” <o:p></o:p>


     
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:25 AM

  • Same problem here. Some of the updates that were released after 2012-10-04 (last update date of my distribution share) make a mess of my distribution share, too. I am not sure which updates are broken, but it seems that there is more than one broken update because I left out the three KB updates mentioned by MSDN_MM and there was still an error. Therefore I returned to my backup from 2012-10-04 which is working fine and will install each update separately to figure out which updates are broken.
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:12 PM
  • I was able to fix my problem. I returned to an old backup of my distribution share that was made shortly after first installation of the distribution share. Afterwards I installed all updates grouped by release date and beginning with the oldest group. After the installation of the last group everything seems to work again.

    But this is an very unsatisfying solution. I think Microsoft should finally improve the distribution share update process, especially WEDU, because it happens over and over again that updates make a mess of the distribtion share.

    Friday, November 23, 2012 10:53 AM