SharePoint 2010 and IIS Advanced Logging? RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have a 24 server farm (16 WFEs) duplicated across data centers. On both we have enabled IIS Advanced Logging per our company's standard operating procedures.  Since going live, our first farm (DataCenterA) has been logging in the event log literally hundreds of thousands of times the same error across all of our WFEs:

Failed to read node configuration for path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/SHAREPOINTSITE_443'. Any requests at or below this path will not be logged. HRESULT: 0X800700B7.

This error is not appearing on our second farm (DataCenterB) nor any lower life cycle farm. The DataCenterA farm is our hot farm currently in use by our end users (DataCenterB is our failover farm). Our WFEs are load balanced outside of IIS. The application itself *is* working as we have thousands of hits every day.

I cannot find any kind of information on this error and was hoping someone might have seen this before and know a resolution.

- Thank you. Respectfully, Janette M. Ricker

• Edited by JaeEmAre Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:05 PM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:01 PM

Answers

• Thank you Daniel for your response.
    I had reviewed that KB article as well. We are not see the specific errors they indicate, however the HRESULT for Error messages 3 and 6 did match. The cause for Error message 3 is

This problem occurs because the ApplicationHost.config file has a duplicate entry for the following code.
    <add accessType="Allow" users="*" />

which I have confirmed is not our case.

The cause for Error message 6 is

This problem may occur if there is a duplicate entry for the specified configuration section setting at a higher level in the configuration hierarchy (for example, in a parent site/folder’s web.config or applicationHost.config file). The error message itself points out the location of duplicate entry or entries.

and because we do not see these errors specifically, it doesn't point out the location of the duplicate entry or entries so I do not think this applies to our situation either.

I have also confirmed that both farms do not have this KB installed. And the DataCenterB farm is not getting these errors in the Event Log.

Thanks again for your time! Anyone have any other thoughts on this?

• Marked as answer by Jack-Gao Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:14 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

can you please take a look in KB942055 and see if one of the resolutions applies to your environment:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942055

Cheers,

Daniel Bugday
    Microsoft Community Contributor, Member of Microsoft Extended Expert Team, MCT, MCTS/MCPD SharePoint 2007/2010, SQL MCDBA, MCSE

Blog: SharePoint By Bugday
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter
    Technet: My Ask The Expert Area On Technet
    Founder of SharePoint Forum

Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:58 AM
  • Thank you Daniel for your response.
    I had reviewed that KB article as well. We are not see the specific errors they indicate, however the HRESULT for Error messages 3 and 6 did match. The cause for Error message 3 is

This problem occurs because the ApplicationHost.config file has a duplicate entry for the following code.
    <add accessType="Allow" users="*" />

which I have confirmed is not our case.

The cause for Error message 6 is

This problem may occur if there is a duplicate entry for the specified configuration section setting at a higher level in the configuration hierarchy (for example, in a parent site/folder’s web.config or applicationHost.config file). The error message itself points out the location of duplicate entry or entries.

and because we do not see these errors specifically, it doesn't point out the location of the duplicate entry or entries so I do not think this applies to our situation either.

I have also confirmed that both farms do not have this KB installed. And the DataCenterB farm is not getting these errors in the Event Log.

Thanks again for your time! Anyone have any other thoughts on this?

• Marked as answer by Jack-Gao Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:14 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:17 PM
  • I know this is old but clearly hasn't been answered on here anyway. This post came up when I googled "iis advanced logging Failed to read node configuration for path" - I had the same issue when configuring Advanced Logging with a custom logging field.

Have a look in your applicationhost.config for anything within a site location node that is a duplicate in any way of something in a higher level configuration section.

My issue was resolved by removing an entry for a custom field that was in a site location node that was still present in the applicationhost.config file even though I removed the field using the GUI. The field was also described in the location path "", in other words, at the higher level in IIS config.

Hope this helps the OP, or someone else who has the same error.

• Proposed as answer by DaveHassenUK Wednesday, July 3, 2013 9:24 AM
    Wednesday, July 3, 2013 9:24 AM