Acess Web App dropdown value lists RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Access Web App (Access 2013) with several Dropdowns in several forms each of which have a Row Source Type set to Value List.  The forms all work fine with the content of the dropdowns displaying as expected.

However I cannot edit the values in the dropdown list.  In Access the Row Source Type  shows up as Value List but no Value List (normally displayed in a multiline  Record Source textbox) is displayed.  Previously where I have seen this behaviour I have been able to swap the Row Source Type to Table/Query save the form and then swap back to Value List.   But now the only Row Source Type available is Value List so that rick no longer works.  Screen

Any idea how to recover the situation so I can edit the Value List Row Source

Sunday, April 17, 2016 9:03 AM

Answers

• Ah solved it - this is embarrassing.  The field that the dropdowns are bound to for some reason were of type Lookup.  I am sure they used to be of type ShortText and as soon as I changed then back to Short text it all started behaving properly.  The only problem is I have lost the values in the drop downs which is a pain. 

But at least its working! These problems always are 'cos you have done something stupid and just cant spot it!

Sunday, April 17, 2016 4:18 PM
  • Actually I am not sure what I said before is right now. 

For the record in a web app I think:

• If a dropdown is bound to a table field then you DO use a lookup field and define the dropdown contents in the table definition
    • If a dropdown is NOT bound  then you do it in the properties' of the dropdown in the forms definition.

So it was all working before I was just looking in the wrong place.

Idiot, me I mean!

Sunday, April 17, 2016 5:32 PM

All replies

• In Desktop Access I open the form, select Design View, right-click the drop-down and select Properties. There I have either my hard-coded values or an SQL statement for fetching them from a table. Is that different from Web Access?

Best regards, George

Sunday, April 17, 2016 3:09 PM
  • Yes it's very, very different!  Controls don't quite have properties in the same way and in as much as they do have properties just a small handful not that huge number you get in a desktop mdb/accdb.  Like a differnet product really:-)
    Sunday, April 17, 2016 3:12 PM
  • Oh I should say I have renamed the relevant file in C:\Users\this_user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Access\DatabaseCache\15.0 and created a new copy by reopening in Access from the SharePoint site itself and that produced no change.
    Sunday, April 17, 2016 3:43 PM
  • Did you ever edit the values or how did they happen there?

Best regards, George

Sunday, April 17, 2016 3:46 PM
  • Ah solved it - this is embarrassing.  The field that the dropdowns are bound to for some reason were of type Lookup.  I am sure they used to be of type ShortText and as soon as I changed then back to Short text it all started behaving properly.  The only problem is I have lost the values in the drop downs which is a pain. 

But at least its working! These problems always are 'cos you have done something stupid and just cant spot it!

Sunday, April 17, 2016 4:18 PM
  • Nope, like I said, how did the values got entered? When something cease working you backtrack to a date/version that worked and compare it to something that did not.

Best regards, George

Sunday, April 17, 2016 4:22 PM
  • Actually I am not sure what I said before is right now. 

For the record in a web app I think:

• If a dropdown is bound to a table field then you DO use a lookup field and define the dropdown contents in the table definition
    • If a dropdown is NOT bound  then you do it in the properties' of the dropdown in the forms definition.

So it was all working before I was just looking in the wrong place.

Idiot, me I mean!

Sunday, April 17, 2016 5:32 PM
  • Hi Martin,

I am glad your issue has been resolved, and I suggest you mark your reply as answer to close this thread, and then others who run into the same issue would find the solution easily.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, April 18, 2016 2:26 AM