TFS and Microsoft Project - Editing Description and other things

Question

• Is there a way in Microsoft Project to change the description of a Work Item?

Some of our managers work in the MSP world and publish directly to TFS from there. However, from MSP they cannot (or haven't found a way) to edit the WI's description / links / attachments etc.

Is there a way for them to do this in MSP without going into Visual Studio?

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 6:08 PM

Answers

• I believe that would have to create a field mapping for the Description field to MSProject in the Process Template. You can do this by modifing the FileMappings.xml file in the Classification directory for the template. From the Team menu you would access the Column mappings option to select the Description column to appear.

As for the Links/Attachments, you can modify/add/remove these items by using the Links/Attachments button on the Team toolbar in MSProject. Just select the workitem that you want to work with and click the button to get the Links/Attachemnts dialog.

-paul

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 4:11 AM

All replies

• I believe that would have to create a field mapping for the Description field to MSProject in the Process Template. You can do this by modifing the FileMappings.xml file in the Classification directory for the template. From the Team menu you would access the Column mappings option to select the Description column to appear.

As for the Links/Attachments, you can modify/add/remove these items by using the Links/Attachments button on the Team toolbar in MSProject. Just select the workitem that you want to work with and click the button to get the Links/Attachemnts dialog.

-paul

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 4:11 AM
  • Sounds great but how do I get to the filemappings.xml to edit it? do I use witexport/witimport?
    Friday, October 27, 2006 11:31 PM
  • you have to export the process template using the Process Template Manager. You will find the file in the Classifications directory.

Friday, October 27, 2006 11:49 PM
  • I have downlaoded and edited the file adding the following line:

<Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="System.description" ProjectField="pjTaskText20" />

I then uploaded and overwrote the existing file however in the MSProject file the original mappings are the same. Is there something I need to do to rfresh the mappings?

I have read further over the weekend regarding this issue. Am I right that I ould now need to create a new project to reflect the changes? I cant apply these changes to an existing project?

Saturday, October 28, 2006 12:31 AM
  • Ok This takes on a new twist for me.

I have made the necessary changes. Now I want to re-create the project so that it works in the desired way with MS Project.

How do I get all of the information out of TFS? By this I mean the history, Description, Links and attachments.

I know how to delete the Project

and how to create the new Project.

I will also need to know how to get all the information back into the new Project.

It would not be beneficial to the company to start a new Project from this point forward and work in a dual world until we have cleared up all the bugs, change requests and requirements from the old project.

Friday, November 3, 2006 12:08 AM
  • If you are talking to the workitems, there is a utility for moving the workitems between projects. So create the new project using the new template and verify that the mappings are what you want. Then try out the utility by moving over a workitem or two and verify the results.

Here is a link to the utility.

http://www.gotdotnet.com/codegallery/codegallery.aspx?id=b29d4456-c4ba-474e-a422-0479471776e1

-paul

Friday, November 3, 2006 4:51 AM
  • I downloaded the tool and it looked exactly what I need - however it didnt work. After picking the source and destination it gave an exception error (I have posted on their site to report this andcan see that other faced the same issue). However this looks like an excellent tool - We often find that a change request is often posted in the wrong project when refering to an integration feature. Customer services are often unaware which product the code change is needed in, and only report from the aspect of where an export or import are executed.

Friday, November 3, 2006 4:47 PM